Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Are we done with the pennies yet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I get change at a convenience store, I give all of the pennies to the tray. For some reason I feel weird taking them though

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You take the money from the cripples' jar?

Swede
Old 11-11-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
americans hate coinage. you expect a 5 dollar coin to work when the 1 dollar coin has failed since its inception? obviously, if you don't print $1 or $5 bills, then eventually people would have to suck it up and use it, but this would never take off here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing I hate most about my business trips to England is the inordinate amount of change you have to carry around in your pocket because the smallest bill they have is 5 pounds (like $9.25). Everyone (native) over there I mentioned it to agreed that it's annoying. So we should learn from their mistake.

I HATE having anything in my pockets - I have the smallest front-pocket wallet possible, and all of my change immediately goes to the change tray in my car, the change tray in my desk at work, or the change growler on my desk at home. I wouldn't deal well if they went to $1 coins. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The government can't just print money and spend it as if it's a profit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes it can.

[ QUOTE ]
...that would lead to terrible inflation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this happens all the time. But inflation helps the first people to spend it, in continually decreasing amounts. The first group to spend it (the government) gets full value for the minted money because it has not yet decreased everyone's perception of the value of money. The last people to spend it (us) get screwed because by the time we get hold of the extra money, it is now worth less.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Until sales taxes are charged in increments of nickels, and stores quit marking prices to $X.99, you might as well save your breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

I struck out googling for this article I read, but some guy who runs a pizza shop went three days rounding off every total to the nearest nickel. Register says $4.82? Give me $4.80. It says $5.94? Give me $5.95.

End of day one: register was off by $0.03. Day two: spot on. Day three: Off by $0.02. No pennies. I think there is an online petition somewhere to do away with them, but now I'm 0 for 2, sucking at teh googling.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a cashier. I used to manage a department of cashiers, and I feel strongly about retail workers being treated with respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. This is funny.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I get change at a convenience store, I give all of the pennies to the tray. For some reason I feel weird taking them though

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You take the money from the cripples' jar?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

no, that's the jar..this is the tray.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe not the whole day but you cannot tell me that if you only have like a 20 on you and its 5.01 and you get 14.99 back you arent like what the [censored] dude. If you arent at least a little annoyed I am jealous of you because I will never know that feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be jealous then. I can honestly say I've never gotten upset over getting change. I get my change, glance at the bills to see if it looks right, and the coins go straight in my pocket without a second thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you also eat like a million banana's a day.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The government can't just print money and spend it as if it's a profit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes it can.

[ QUOTE ]
...that would lead to terrible inflation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this happens all the time. But inflation helps the first people to spend it, in continually decreasing amounts. The first group to spend it (the government) gets full value for the minted money because it has not yet decreased everyone's perception of the value of money. The last people to spend it (us) get screwed because by the time we get hold of the extra money, it is now worth less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Until sales taxes are charged in increments of nickels, and stores quit marking prices to $X.99, you might as well save your breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

I struck out googling for this article I read, but some guy who runs a pizza shop went three days rounding off every total to the nearest nickel. Register says $4.82? Give me $4.80. It says $5.94? Give me $5.95.

End of day one: register was off by $0.03. Day two: spot on. Day three: Off by $0.02. No pennies. I think there is an online petition somewhere to do away with them, but now I'm 0 for 2, sucking at teh googling.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't surprise me at all, and it shouldn't surprise you.

This is why, if I have to do a quick estimation of looking over several 3-digit numbers, I'll simply add the first digit column, and then add 50 for each number listed. This is because the average that is left over is 50 so if there is a list of like 1 million 3-digit numbers at random, you could do this method and not be off by much at all.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Good luck with that. Fight the power.