Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Bottom Pair, No Kicker

UTG+1 is 29/8/32(1/1.5/7) (VP$IP/PFR/WSD(AF-F/AF-T/AF-R)) after 150 hands.

Should I be check-folding the turn here?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Scott
Old 12-05-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Bottom Pair, No Kicker

This looks fine to me. Why would you fold a pair and an OESD on the turn?

It's hard to see what UTG+1 has been calling with on this rag board besides some sort of a draw or slowplay, so I could see checking the river, hoping Villain will bluff. I don't think I'd do it, though, since I'd feel silly if my checkraise got 3-bet. (This may not be the best reason to bet instead, though.)

Anyway, over your sample size, Villain seems psychotic on the river. But as much as I want to 3-bet my trips, a hand like Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] does seem possible once Villain raises, as does a slowplayed 55 or a 3xs hand that is now a flush. And you'd think if he was just making one of his standard bluff-raises he'd just fold to the 3-bet, whereas if he actually had you beat he'd cap. I don't know, though. Maybe you should 3-bet. A river aggression of 7 seems really out of line, even if it is over just 150 hands.

Edit: In the heat of the hand, I'd probably 3-bet the river and call a cap, but I think I like just calling the raise better. I just noticed that 87 is a straight and something else Villain could've slowplayed that you lose to.

Villain's numbers could be deceptive, and I do think whatever you may have noticed about how much he likes to trap with very strong hands versus how much he likes to raise light and bluff-raise on the river could be helpful.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:47 PM

I definitely wouldn't be check/folding the turn here since theres so many draws. You're ahead a good amount on the turn.

On the river I thought you should 3-bet, but not anymore. That river either gave him a flush, made him trips with a better kicker, or he decided to raise with a straight he made on the turn. Either way I don't see villain raise/calling many hands that you beat.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when I posted the hand I forgot about the OESD (though not during play).

Scott
Old 12-05-2005, 09:49 PM

I play it the same. I'm too wussy to 3bet the river on this board. I fear that this donk is chasing the flush with very bad pot odds. Even though I fear it I have to call so I'll can input that in his notes and it's more likely that with his river aggression he is just insane and has nothing.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when I posted the hand I forgot about the OESD (though not during play).

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Without the OESD, I think I'd bet-fold on the turn, rather than check-fold. There are a lot of things Villain could've been peeling with on that flop.