Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: King Yao\'s thoughts on Poker/Trading skill overlap

[ QUOTE ]
Having read what you said, I've always considered disclosing my gambling career to employers but it definetly seems very risky, depending on their disposition. What do you guys think? One financial advisor told me not to because of obvious reasons.

I've been successful at poker for the past 3 years, started when I was 17. Pays for tuition. I have also been successful with sportsbetting with 1000% return in the last year.

I'm a 3rd year finance student University of Toronto (argueably most notable in Canada) looking to get into the investment industry. My marks are only average, and I feel that my only options are: stockbroker or working in mutual funds. I'm considering to move to Las Vegas or New York

Any advice is much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind alot of people in the OUTSIDE world still think poker is a form of gambling and will look at you as a degenerate. As for being a stock broker..if you like to sell and are good on the phone...yes go for it. Its a tough grind being a broker...you have your ups and downs..and get to the point where you are wondering where your best intersts are....is it to make your client money or is it to buy that new CL. And this is true for all levels of this industry.... Its a tough industry but as the saying goes...to the victor comes the spoils...... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

oh btw... Trading stocks is easier than HOLD EM.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 PM

Ya I've certainly thought of it. Kinda keeping my options open. Going to a job fair, hopefully I can impress some recruiters. Maybe I'll just hedge my bets and let half of em know about poker and not the other half : ).
Old 09-14-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya I've certainly thought of it. Kinda keeping my options open. Going to a job fair, hopefully I can impress some recruiters. Maybe I'll just hedge my bets and let half of em know about poker and not the other half : ).

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think the window for thinking poker may help you is closed anyway. Every single jackass on earth plays poker now, or at least claims to. I think at this point you are better off not mentioning it since the there isn't really any upside anymore.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think at this point you are better off not mentioning it since the there isn't really any upside anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The upside is being able to display your skills at money/risk management in a practical rather then theoretical context!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think at this point you are better off not mentioning it since the there isn't really any upside anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The upside is being able to display your skills at money/risk management in a practical rather then theoretical context!

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that so many people claim they are "poker players" now that saying that you are one does not distinguish you at all.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:52 AM

i would think all recruiters would not take poker playing seriously.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 AM

I certainly agree. Maybe I need to give them a sense of how much I make - most likely more than the recruiter : ).
Old 09-15-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly agree. Maybe I need to give them a sense of how much I make - most likely more than the recruiter : ).

[/ QUOTE ]

that will just make you look like a jackass, if they believe you. poker players are mostly liars, and any recruiter probably thinks worse of them than I do.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:43 PM

IMHO, I still think putting something like "played poker to cover college tuition" on your resume = +EV.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I need to give them a sense of how much I make

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not about how much you make at poker... its the application of money/risk management SKILLS that is the most relevant!