Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: after mike sexton\'s CP article....he needs to STFU

STFU
Old 08-18-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A way to solve this problem is to give players exceptions, like if they have ever won they don't have to qualify again or have X number of years of exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may work for gold, where the money comes from the sponsors anyway, but when the money comes from my pocket, I want an equal shot to everyone else. I don't want the pros to get an edge or be seeded at different tables or be given an exemption from qualifying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a great idea if it's performance-based. You cashed in last year's main event? You've earned a one year exemption. You've won a bracelet? 5 year exemption. You made the final table of the main event? 3 years. You won the ME? Lifetime exemption.

I think a poker tour that correctly (the PPT seems like a failure so far) modelled itself after the PGA would be a great success.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 AM

the amount of luck in tournament poker makes the idea of qualifying events stupid. tiger woods is going to score better than a lowly amateur 98% of the time. phil ivey is going to outlast a lowly amateur 60-70% of the time. both of these men are the very best at their sport.

it just doesn't make sense for poker.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:48 AM

I agree this is a bad idea.

So I live in Memphis...so to qualify for the WSOP I'd have to go down to Tunica or New Orleans or Caesar's Indiana to qualify?
Pardon me...but I'll take a pass.
The WSOP-circuit is in Tunica right now and I can't bring myself to head down there because I'm just not that interested.

How many people in the 'real' world can actually swing by AC or Tunica for a few days....and then a month or two later head on over to Vegas for another week or so?

What a pain for people who are not near the qualifying venues.

The reason we have had such an explosion at the WSOP is because of all the internet-qualifiers. So...if I qualify on the internet for the WSOP again does that entitle me to an all expenses paid trip to tunica, Mississippi for the regional event?
Oh goodie!!
Do they then pay for my flight to Las Vegas if I make it that far?

Mike isn't thinking this thing through.
and I very much doubt that the field will double to 11k players or so next year.

What the hell is so wrong with having a cap?
If you only have room for 7k players...then the first 7k players to buy-in or qualify online or via the live satellites get the seats.

I wouldn't have a big problem if they started to gradually raise the buy-in a little bit though (should cut down a little bit on the online-qualifiers).
I think a $12k or even a $15k buy-in wouldn't be too bad.

However...it looked to me like Mike Sexton was getting his way on the PPM cruise because they were raising the buy-in to $14k for this year.
They just recently cancelled that plan and dialed it back to a $10.2k buy-in like before.
So instead of a projected $10-mil prize-pool they are back to a projected $7-mil prize-pool. It just wasn't working out like they had hoped it would I suppose.
They have a bunch of people who have already qualified who are due refunds.
I have two 'tickets' or 'freerolls' for their semifinals which I am due refunds on because the buy-in for those has changed from $535 to $270.

Not sure that raising the price in a similar way for the WSOP would be such a hot idea. I would think that $12k buy-in would be a decent way to test it out without making the change too dramatic.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:09 PM

They could just put a cap on the number of players. When it sells out, it sells out. First come, first served.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:23 PM

I don't like Mike's propsal for one main reason.

Chris Moneymaker *probably* would not have made it to the WSOP in Mike's structure.

His win is the single biggest reason for the explosion in poker.

To take away the "moneymaker" factor for every lowlimit online player getting a chance to win the big one is very damaging.

Its like killing the plankton in the ocean. Sure they are small, but without them the rest of the food chain will die.

In this way the terrible online player who feeds the first rung of pokerplayers goes away and that money doesn't make its way up the chain.

It will also take away the "everyman" image poker has, as in "everyman" can become a world champion.

The general public doesn't care (arnd really doesn't want to know) that Greg Raymer was an accomplished poker player before he won the big one. They just want to lump him in with Moneymaker and use that to continue to feed their fantasy.

If the structure of the larger tourney killls the romance and the dream for the fish, they are killing themselves.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-18-2005, 01:46 PM

Hi Greg,
[ QUOTE ]
First, if this is going to be THE WSOP Main Event, then I don't want the qualifying rounds to be super-satellites, I would want them to be events where you play down to the money or some such, and then take your chip count forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a good idea, but how would you handle the unequal skill levels of various regions? Would top players select their own personal fish pond (regional) or would they be required to duke it out in the region in which they live?

Joe
Old 08-18-2005, 01:48 PM

X number of sponsorship exemptions? I think we've got to start fattening prize pools with sponsorship money.

Joe
Old 08-18-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
X number of sponsorship exemptions? I think we've got to start fattening prize pools with sponsorship money.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the other thing that needs to happen for my "PGA" style tour idea to work, of course.

By the way, I don't think these ideas are necessarily good for the WSOP, but another tour that worked in this manner would be great. Especially if you had very deep payouts (so everyone who "makes the cut" - say, the top half, being everyone who makes it out of day 1 or 2 - gets something), so that it's worthwhile for good players to play.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:23 PM

His regional plan sucks as well.
Can you imagine the difference in skill levels between the regions? I would imagine a lot of top players would get shut out because they lost the LV regional, while poorer players could do better in, say, the midwest ones.
Not trying to slam the midwest folks (I'm one) but jeez, this is ridiculous.