Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Advice for a live-noob?

Hi. I'm going to play a live tourny with about 35 players, $100 freezeout. As i'm quite new to live-playing I hoped someone could give me advice concearning early stages, hints and tips and strategy in general.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Advice for a live-noob?

The question is too general to really answer. So here's some generalities you may want to consider:

Since you've never played live before, you may want to take the first few hands off, just to see how others are playing and the proper poker etiquette.

Keep in mind the live poker rules that aren't applicable on-line (e.g., protect your cards (keep them on the table), don't act out of turn, don't splash the pot, verbally announce your actions, don't string bet).

Other than that, try to reduce any physical tells you have: Always place bets or folds the same way, take the same amount of time to make your bets and folds.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:39 PM

Fold AJo in EP.

I'm not even joking a little.

-ZEN
Old 11-15-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold AJo in EP.

I'm not even joking a little.

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if it's SOOOTED?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Try to remember that its still teh same game you play online, but now ppl are watching you. The first time is hard, Im not gonna lie. You will probably not have teh jittery hands what most players have, as you are used to playing. If you are nervious, just look at your table. Tell yourself you are the best there, that you fear nothing. Keeping a straight face is hard, I personally just think of something off topic. Use your ability to daydream to your advantage. As for other tips, whenver a player is looking at you trying to get a read, I find it best to stare at a fixed point, as to give no hints. I ususally choose a chip in the dealers tray or something of that nature.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:47 AM

Esp with this being your first live tourney - I would - as others suggested - play it tight early. Don't put money in the pot with AJo or maybe even AQo in EP. Don't play too many 'creative hands early - suited connectors, suited aces/kings. Don't get cute with hands, slowplaying in weird spots, C/R as bluff, etc...

Just take it easy - ease yourself in. Also, that way you'll have a tight image set up for later. When you start to loosen up, let your play loosen up - you might throw a couple players off and take down some pots with weaker hands.

Uh...Maybe overbet slightly your hands early on if you're nervous. NOT enough to go broke if you're already beat, but enough to make your decisions easier on the next street.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:13 PM

Are you a regular online player? If so, you probably will have seen many more hands than most your opponents. Keep that in mind if you start to feel beneath others in the tourney. There will be a few dudes that act aggressivly to make up for their poor card skills and it will affect you.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 PM

Check out the B&M forum, too. The Newbie guide is a great read...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post2871144
Old 11-18-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. I'm going to play a live tourny with about 35 players, $100 freezeout. As i'm quite new to live-playing I hoped someone could give me advice concearning early stages, hints and tips and strategy in general.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

General strategy is a pretty big field.

On a different tangent, the first time I played live was in a free bar tournament that had no prizes awarded. I'd played online for a yeah and a half and probably had a hundred thousand hands under my belt. But every single hand I played in this free no stress tourney, my hands shook. This probably won't happen to you, but if it does don't worry about it.

Also don't worry about looking like a noob, most folks are pretty forgiving of it. If you forget the chip denoms, lost track of how many people came into the pot, whatever don't be affraid to ask.

Finally, my number one noob tip, if you are raising with one large denomination chip (say its 100 to call and you throw in a 500 chip) always say raise. If you don't most of the time that's going to be ruled a call.

And have fun, playing live is a blast!

Zetack