Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Do you like this play with 10s?

Sitting on 1200 in a $33 MTT on PartyPoker tonight. Blinds are 15/30. I'm in the small blind. Villain is pretty tight, and raises it in UTG+2. Villain has 675 chips left after the raise to 85. I call the bet.

flop: K 9 9 (two hearts). I check...Villain bets 150, I raise to 350. Like, not like? Villain has 300 left if she calls the re-raise and pushes.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Do you like this play with 10s?

If you think villain's pretty tight, do you think he checks the turn with a whiff or under PP if you call the flop?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think villain's pretty tight, do you think he checks the turn with a whiff or under PP if you call the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think villain has either two plays, fold to my raise or push. Can't leave 300 behind. I was trying to put villain to a decision. If villain came back over the top I'd have to put her on a K, if not I'd take the pot. If the villain calls here I would probably put pressure on her by pushing the turn.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think villain has either two plays, fold to my raise or push. Can't leave 300 behind. I was trying to put villain to a decision. If villain came back over the top I'd have to put her on a K, if not I'd take the pot. If the villain calls here I would probably put pressure on her by pushing the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't understand my reply. I was asking you what you think villain would do no the turn if you just call the flop bet, instead of raising. My point is that if villain freezes up on the turn when you call with all hands that fold the flop when you raise, calling and betting the turn is better.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sitting on 1200 in a $33 MTT on PartyPoker tonight. Blinds are 15/30. I'm in the small blind. Villain is pretty tight, and raises it in UTG+2. Villain has 675 chips left after the raise to 85. I call the bet.

flop: K 9 9 (two hearts). I check...Villain bets 150, I raise to 350. Like, not like? Villain has 300 left if she calls the re-raise and pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really liek the PF call. There's no sense in raising, it hides your hand a little, and you know villian is tight so he could have heat and you let yourself get out if the flop sucks.

I hate this flop raise. First of all, don't min raise, ever, especialy here. It's bad form and wrong in principle in like 95% of situations. Min raises *can* be ok I guess when blinds are huge and/or you think it'll get him to come back at you all in and you want him to.

All you're doing here is committing him to the hand, he's probably not folding. He probably has a better hand than you as a lot of things he could have beat you here. AK, KK, QQ, JJ, AA, KJ, KQ, even KT. Indeed, the only thing I can think of a "tight player" raise in such early position PF that you're ahead is AJ/AQ, maybe QJ? With that min re-raise, you might as well just push. You're pretty much committing yourself to the hand by raising the way you did.

This would be an easy fold for me on that flop with her bet. She made a reasonable bet of around 3/4 the pot. Probably trying to protect against the flush draw or something.