Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Matusow

Kiddie game...DOWN THE STREET.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:43 AM

Does the bankteller thing also apply to prostitutes?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:44 AM

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug!"
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Mike Matusow is the greatest thing to happen to poker since Hellmuth.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Matusow is good for the game and is a great poker. Man I am so tired of this "nice guy" syndrome that we've got in america. Judge the guy on his talent, not his personality. No wonder corporate america sucks, we're not in high school anymore people.

Indy
Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow is good for the game and is a great poker. Man I am so tired of this "nice guy" syndrome that we've got in america. Judge the guy on his talent, not his personality. No wonder corporate america sucks, we're not in high school anymore people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said anything about his talent. He's a great player, no question. So are Ivey, Brunson, Negraneau, Raymer, and a bunch of other great players who manage to be great without acting like total a-holes at the table.

I'd say the real syndrome in America is the idea that antisocial and obnoxious behavior is somehow "cool" and that douchebaggery equals entertainment. It's the same thing in sports. Act like an idiot = get on Sportscenter. Play the game with class = zero highlight reels and zero endorsements. Idiotic behavior is now rewarded in America. Humility is mocked as being "boring". That's why I'm such a big fan of Raymer. The guy probably had the best 2-year run in the history of the WSOP, and managed to be classy and humble while doing it.

A guy can be funny and entertaining without being a jerkoff to the other players (Layne Flack comes to mind). Matusow is really not very funny or witty, unless you just find someone acting obnoxious to be funny in and of itself. Personally I don't find screaming, "I've got big cajones!" at your opponent to be funny, or normal behavior for an adult - but I'm sure a lot of people do.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

They are two completely different things. You act like the fact that he's an excellent poker player means that either he can't be, or we shouldn't comment on his douchetardiness.

The man is a hell of a player. He's also an enormous throbbing tool. There are outstanding players who aren't tools and there are tools who aren't outstanding players. They aren't related.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:49 AM

Sorry, neighbor was over last night and I forgot to log him out. Being a Matusow type is perhaps accepted in sports but no matter how talented you are, if you dont kiss ass and play great golf you wont go to the top in corporate USA. In sports I think that there is a place for trash talking and quite frankly I really enjoy it. I'm not talking about Ali stuff like pounding a guy and calling him an uncle tom (frazier) but some smack introduced into the game can be fun and healthy. I do agree that Matusow has a big mouth and says some stupid stuff, hell the guy is majorly depressed and traumatized as a person, but he's as real as it gets and certainly adds an angle to our game that I find fascinating.

Indy
Old 11-03-2005, 11:51 AM

If he's a douche, then let me ask you this. Who would you rather party with at da club? Raymer or Matusow?

Indy
Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a douche, then let me ask you this. Who would you rather party with at da club? Raymer or Matusow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually try to avoid hanging out with obnoxious ex-cons, although to be fair I'm a little old for partying at da club these days.

Again, this question assumes that being a nice guy must = boring, which I don't agree with. Don't know Greg but there's no reason to assume he wouldn't be a cool guy to hang out with.
Closed Thread