Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Trips vs LAG 100NL facing all in

First you might be saying WOW Percussion your a fish. Well, a few hands ago I saw this player raise in mid position to 3.50, and push a flop of J48 2 diamonds--a huge overbet. When villian raises to 3.50 UTG, I put him on AA, KK, or QQ.

Now, it is obvious that this player misplays and overbets his hands, so I decide that even though I am pretty well behind, I have the button, and I can play better.
The second the turn came out I knew he didnt have ace king for 100% sure.
Is it really that bad to call that river facing that overbet?
Am I a fish?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($79.90)
MP1 ($53.80)
MP2 ($110.80)
MP3 ($234.45)
CO ($112.10)
Hero ($236.35)
SB ($57.65)
BB ($42.30)
UTG ($103.90)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($8.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $7</font>, Hero calls $7.

Turn: ($22.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($62.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $73.4 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $73.40.

Final Pot: $209.30

I shoulda pushed turn...
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Trips vs LAG 100NL facing all in

is that a hint to the result?

if he really is lag, i dont seee why not smooth caling the turn is bad.. with trips.. i think its an easy call on the river.. if your reads are correct.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:17 PM

So you put him on AA, KK or QQ PF and called with AJo. I can see where you're coming from, but AJo is just too much of a dog against that range. I'd call with a SC or lower PP, but not AJo.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:17 PM

haha [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] you can read me too well--it is slightly a hint to the result, but I have two questions. One if I have him on KK or QQ (he cant have AA) why not just push and not let him get a free card?

He overplays hands etc--he might even call!!

And 2: can I put him on QQ on this river?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have him on KK or QQ (he cant have AA) why not just push and not let him get a free card?

[/ QUOTE ]

By pushing you'll probably blow him off his hand, and you're WA if he does in fact have KK/QQ to your trip aces, so calling is better, and let him bluff the river as well.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I shoulda pushed turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

So he had KK ?

I honestly fold this PF, but if you're going to call the flop thinking your A is good, then check-call will let him bluff his lesser hands since he's a lag. If you believe your A is no good, fold the flop.

Your decision for the hand has to be made on the flop.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
= why not just push and not let him get a free card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's drawing very very slim and he seems eager to bet his hand no matter what so let him do that, don't offer him a chance to get away. (i.e. let his aggression work against him)
Old 10-11-2005, 02:30 PM

IMO this is a classic example of playin aj or a10 or other easily dominated hands against a utg pf raiser. I think that you shoulda been in the pot to start with. especially since you said yourself that you put him on aces kings or queens, all three of which you are a dog to. your pf call put you in a bad spot with the board showing the way it does. the call or raise during this hand is clearly situational and depends on tendencies of villain but i say for a future reference that calling a raise from utg player with ajo is clearly -EV move.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:49 PM

true, of course I knew i was a dog. But its the same reason you would call with a hand like 78s--first of all I have position. Second of all he will misplay the hand, and I will play it well!!
I know im a dog and yes he did have KK and maybe I shoulda folded river.
Heres a question--how often does AJo outflop QQ+?
Lets say the flop comes JJ2, I saw him just push (probably AA or KK but ill never know) 3.50$ to make 96.50$ more?
personally I think this call could have been +ev : )
Old 10-11-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
true, of course I knew i was a dog. But its the same reason you would call with a hand like 78s--first of all I have position. Second of all he will misplay the hand, and I will play it well!!
I know im a dog and yes he did have KK and maybe I shoulda folded river.
Heres a question--how often does AJo outflop QQ+?
Lets say the flop comes JJ2, I saw him just push (probably AA or KK but ill never know) 3.50$ to make 96.50$ more?
personally I think this call could have been +ev : )

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think you're a bit confused on this concept. The difference between calling raises with 78s and a hand like AJo is a concept known as "reverse implied odds". What this basically means is that hands such as AJ can make decent (top-pair type) hands that might be tough to get away from when villain has you crushed. 78s is the type of hand that's going to be easy to get away from when you a 1 pair type hand and your losses will be minimal, whereas your wins (when you hit a big hand) have the potential to be villain's stack.

If villain is a maniac preflop and postflop, then I play the hand exactly the same as you did. There's no sense in pushing that turn to "protect" against a 2 outer. You'll make way more in the continued river bluffs and river bets from hands this maniac thinks are the best.

If villain's preflop range is really only AA, KK and QQ then preflop you must fold.

Do a search for reverse implied odds for a better explanation than I've given here.

KoW