Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Book Club, Part II

Dan Rutter, evolvedForm, chezlaw, and PrayingMantis, please start thinking about the text you would like to read. Let's try to keep things in the 50-75 page range, and hopefully we can do one selection every 6-8 weeks. Since RJT and I both want to do Soren Kierkegaard, I figure that we can just combine our choices into one and go first. RJT, any ideas what specific text you'd like to read?

Also, we will need to make sure that we all have the same copy/translation of a work, so here's what I'm thinking. Whenever your selection comes up, each person will be responsible for getting an electronic version that we can all print out.

Everything sound good so far? Let everyone know what you think so that we can make this work for all of us. Thanks everyone.

Scott
Old 11-12-2005, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Book Club, Part II

I would like to get in on this too.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm happy to go with SK, can't think of anything more remote from philosophy I read so it might be tough.

chez
Old 11-13-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy to go with SK, can't think of anything more remote from philosophy I read so it might be tough.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

SK is pretty easy. Probably why I like him. Actually this is why I love him (I already posted this quote before - sorry to be redundant):

“I stick my fingers into existence - it smells of nothing. Where am I? What is this thing called the world? Who is it who lured me into the thing, and leaves me here? Who am I? How did I come into the world? Why was I not consulted?”

Why was I not consulted? I crack up whenever I read this last line. So, desperate, yet I just think it is so funny (it isn’t meant to be) - in a “Waiting for Godot” humorous way.

Which leads to another idea for down the road - we can do some literature too. We don’t have to stick to “texts” of philosophers. Kafka, Chekov …

Scotch, I don’t have anything in mind regarding Soren - I’ll browse, but if you find something in the meantime you have in mind, go for it.

RJT
Old 11-13-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

I checked with the registrar. Registration was closed, but I got you in. I told him you were a good guy (in spite of your atheism).

RJT

p.s. To anyone else interested - obviously, I am kidding. The more the merrier as “they” say.

Who is “they“? In the final exam we will attempt to find the answer to at least this question.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

I checked with the registrar. Registration was closed, but I got you in. I told him you were a good guy (in spite of your atheism).

RJT

p.s. To anyone else interested - obviously, I am kidding. The more the merrier as “they” say.

Who is “they“? In the final exam we will attempt to find the answer to at least this question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not mind 'auditing' the course, though participation may happen despite myself.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:30 AM

I owe you one RJT, in spite of your well crafted stories.

...in spite of my atheism. That one made me laugh. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 02:20 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I wasn't consulted but have got it on sale or return.

chez
Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 PM

RJT,

I have a existentialist primer that includes selections from Fear and Trembling, The Sickness unto Death, and Concluding Unscientific Postscript , and totals about 65 pages. Fear and Trembling is about 100 pages total, so that could also be a possibility. Beyond that though, I have no idea.

Scott
Old 11-13-2005, 04:37 PM

That would be great by me as my face is actually 12 inches from the Postscript as I type [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] because I'm comparing Kierkegaard with Nietzsche in a term paper. Who woulda thunk the book club would pay off so soon? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]