Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: 2005 Nobel Literature Prize

Gilbert Sorrentino dissed again. Oh, well.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Who

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with your general point [that to win a Nobel Prize these days you have to be against the US or US foreign policy].

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
To the person before who implied that anti-American views help one to win the Literature Nobel...if that is the case, why did a universally-respected writer like Graham Greene (certainly deserving in a literary sense) never win it.....a man who, when asked in an interview what word in the English language he disliked the most, replied, "America"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The above quotes are from the same person. They seem contradictory.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Literature prize last year was given to some left-wing Austrian hack that I'd never even HEARD of, and I'm a Barnes and Noble store manager

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have anything to say about this, but I found that hilarious.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should join in the OOT "What book should I read next" threads. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2005, 10:03 PM

The anti-war poetry he released a couple of years back was dire stuff.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Who

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I tend to agree with your general point [that to win a Nobel Prize these days you have to be against the US or US foreign policy].

[/ QUOTE ]

To the person before who implied that anti-American views help one to win the Literature Nobel...if that is the case, why did a universally-respected writer like Graham Greene (certainly deserving in a literary sense) never win it.....a man who, when asked in an interview what word in the English language he disliked the most, replied, "America"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The above quotes are from the same person. They seem contradictory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Cyrus. You're better than these petty arguements.

Just because A implies B, doesn't mean B implies A.

Why try to make a point to someone who said:

In this particular case I feel compelled to note that Pinter is a great playwright (who also happens to be an outspoken critic of US foreign policy, which has nothing to do whatsoever with the literary quality of his work) , and probably deserved the Nobel Prize, on literary merit, a long time ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2005, 11:58 PM

silly intellectual-elitist, left-wing, bleeding heart, commie-loving, tree-hugging, liberals... when will they ever learn? [/sarcasam, if you couldn't tell]

personally, i don't like his writing as much as others do, but, good for him.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 AM

Default A and non-A cannot both be true

[ QUOTE ]
You're better than these petty arguments. Just because A implies B, doesn't mean B implies A. Why try to make a point to someone who said "Pinter is a great playwright and probably deserved the Nobel Prize, on literary merit, a long time ago".

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I find the two statements contradictory and would like very much to see a clarification.

This is not a "petty argument" because I'm not arguing anything more than that one cannot claim both A and non-A to be true. So which is it?

(Your "A implies B, etc" analogy is not relevant.)
Old 10-14-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Jim Thompson

[ QUOTE ]
Name a BAD or WORTHLESS book he's ever written. You can't. You might like some less than others, but they're all -at least- entertaining. There are authors, but not many, who are more PROLIFIC than [him]. There are authors, a few more but still not many, who are BETTER WRITERS than [him]. NO ONE can match the combination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can reel off a dozen crime novelists who fit the description.

Your admiration for King is well placed but, perhaps, there is something beyond mere "entertainment" or quantity of output that makes him worthy of the Nobel.

Winston Churchill won it with, practically, one book. Barbara Cartland's output was pure dross but well-written dross. What you described is world class hacksterism.

[ QUOTE ]
If a person who manages a Barnes and Noble for a living and studied comparative literature in college [such as me] HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD HER NAME before [Elfriede Jelinek] won the Nobel, maybe that signifies that the Swedish Academy is going a little obscure and political with their selections.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder if you had heard of Giorgos Seferis or of Michail Sholokhov before they won their Nobels. (One was absolutely worthy of it, IMO, and the other one not, by the way.)

"Obscure" you say? The Nobel Committee has given the award to Rudyard Kipling, for christ's sakes!

And where is James Joyce?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, to the person before who implied that anti-American views help one to win the Literature Nobel...if that is the case, why did a universally-respected writer like Graham Greene (certainly deserving in a literary sense) never win it.....a man who, when asked in an interview what word in the English language he disliked the most, replied, "America"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason he didn't win it was that some of the board members disapproved of his extra-marital affairs. At least that's what my Literature teacher told me in high school.