Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Wedding Registry-- who, what, why

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it considered in poor taste to not register and ask for cash instead?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always felt that it is bad taste to ask for cash. However it seems that this is becoming very popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I got married, all of my family gave cash (they are from Philly area). My wife's family all gave gifts (they are from DC area). I think it is a regional thing to give or not give cash.

But I don't see anything wrong with putting out through the grapvine through your parents, etc. that cash at this stage in your life would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a debate where I know I am in the minority. However, I have always had a problem with the emphasis on gifts and cash at weddings. I feel that too often the couple is looking at their wedding as a way to hit some sort of jackpot of prizes. It isn't a popular opinion but that is how I feel...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, agreed. I mean, I don't really care if people give me anything, but if they're going to I'd rather it be cash.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it considered in poor taste to not register and ask for cash instead? Because right now, that's my plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that doesn't stop people. The point of the gifts is that everyone helps the bride and groom get started on their new life together by giving gifts such as silverware, dishes, appliances, and furniture.

This is rather antiquated as couples tend to live together before marriage and already have all that [censored].

However, gift cards (which returnable merchandise pretty much is anyways) and gifts are in far better taste than asking for straight cash. This is almost always the case in gift giving situations.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it considered in poor taste to not register and ask for cash instead? Because right now, that's my plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that doesn't stop people. The point of the gifts is that everyone helps the bride and groom get started on their new life together by giving gifts such as silverware, dishes, appliances, and furniture.

This is rather antiquated as couples tend to live together before marriage and already have all that [censored].

However, gift cards (which returnable merchandise pretty much is anyways) and gifts are in far better taste than asking for straight cash. This is almost always the case in gift giving situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why cash is in bad taste, but gift certificates aren't. Cash is like a gift certificate that you can use anywhere. I don't see the difference, really.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why cash is in bad taste, but gift certificates aren't. Cash is like a gift certificate that you can use anywhere. I don't see the difference, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't a practical reason. As a [censored] player I understand this, but basically it's just one of those things that people over about 30 tend to think. I'm not trying to say younger people are more rational, they just don't have a hang-up about cash as a gift for whatever reason.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't a practical reason. As a [censored] player I understand this, but basically it's just one of those things that people over about 30 tend to think. I'm not trying to say younger people are more rational, they just don't have a hang-up about cash as a gift for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, my hang up isn't about cash specifically but rather the debate and asking for gifts. If it can be done with some tact (rather than ...You know we are expecting something fantastic but rather than a gift we don't want bring on the cash) then go ahead. BTW I am not trying to imply that you are greedy and tactless or that you would make a request similar to what I wrote. It is just that this topic is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:04 PM

Based on my experience, forget about the china/silverware crap. I've been married 3 1/2 years now, and the china has never even been unpacked. I'll be stunned if we use more than 5 times in our life.

Target, at least the stores around my area (St. Louis) have a lousy return policy. Namely, when you return something, you have to pick out a replacement item from the same department, that costs the exact same price, and you have to do it THAT DAY. No combining returns either, ie, if you return 2 $10 items, you cannot exchange these for one $20 item.

Actually my wife and I are going to a wedding this weekend and we bought the couple a Home Depot gift certificate.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on my experience, forget about the china/silverware crap. I've been married 3 1/2 years now, and the china has never even been unpacked. I'll be stunned if we use more than 5 times in our life.

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. But seriously, I can see myself using this stuff pretty often (once a week at least?). I love to cook, and we don't have a dishwasher, so why not go the fancy route sometimes?

Which brings me to my next point: we've already established a registry at a local (South East) jewelry store named Underwoods, Williams-Sonoma, and Pottery Barn. Given that we're expecting 225 people to come, and some (50-100?) to not be able to come but probably send something, should we branch out more, or just load up at those places?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. But seriously, I can see myself using this stuff pretty often (once a week at least?). I love to cook, and we don't have a dishwasher, so why not go the fancy route sometimes?

Which brings me to my next point: we've already established a registry at a local (South East) jewelry store named Underwoods, Williams-Sonoma, and Pottery Barn. Given that we're expecting 225 people to come, and some (50-100?) to not be able to come but probably send something, should we branch out more, or just load up at those places?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure there is a local store in every area from which you are inviting. Some elderly family won't know how to or won't want to use the web.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 PM

So now that we've established that outright asking for gifts or cash is crass, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to actually put on there? stuff that would be awesome if someone gave? I remember that my parents gave someone TIVO for a year, and I thought that was a really cool, innovative idea. I have a fairly large family, as does she, so keep in mind that people might give somethihng as a group, or whatever.