Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Blind steal gone wrong

I've been doing my fair share of blind steals at this table.

SB is TAG, 19/14/4
BB is unknown, but seems loose/passive

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Too loose?

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero ...

Here I need to decide if I want to call down, raise, or just dump it. The pot is getting sizable. If it were heads up, I'd probably just call down. Having the BB in there complicates things.

I find these spots tough, I'm not sure if I should be calling down with TPNK.

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Blind steal gone wrong

i like a raise here. see how it comes back to you. if its 3 bet by the SB, i think you should fold. if he cold calls you, and the BB does the same, on the turn you should get a free card unless one of them improved. if you aren't improved by the river than fold. if there is more action on the turn, then fold.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:19 PM

I hate taking the free card and folding the river.

I might venture a raise here and fold to a turn bet UI if he 3-bets the flop or calls and donks the turn. He could have 3-bet and lead the flop with alot of hands you beat.

If you get only calls I'd bet any turn card, no idea about the river, but we don't know what the board with look like then.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:31 PM

I might steal with K2s, but K2o is a bit weak. Hands like K8/K9o are preferred.

I think we should just call. Raising does nothing but bloat the pot, and let hands like 99-QQ know we have them beat. The middle player makes this hand tricky, but we really have no power against him.

Call and see what action occurs on the turn, bet if checked to, possibly fold if sb bets and bb raises the turn. I'm calling down if sb continues betting and bb stays passive.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:46 PM

My standard line when heads up is to call down, betting if checked to. Let them keep bluffing with underpairs or AQ.

I wasn't sure how to handle it 3-handed, so I just called down:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 10-06-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like a raise here. see how it comes back to you. if its 3 bet by the SB, i think you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're going to fold to SB's 3-bet when you'll be getting at least 15-to-1 on the call?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:48 PM

Nh, I play this the same.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might steal with K2s, but K2o is a bit weak. Hands like K8/K9o are preferred.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a steal situation suited doesn't really matter. He's ahead of any hands where both cards are less than a King. This is a fine hand to steal. Except...

[ QUOTE ]
SB is TAG, 19/14/4
BB is unknown, but seems loose/passive

[/ QUOTE ]
Stealing sucks against a loose/passive BB. Especially one who's going to call 2-bets cold PF.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:54 PM

Looks good to me. This seems like one of the few situations where you can pretty much ignore the BB because: A) you can't protect your top pair and B) his range is wide and weak so you might as well not worry too much about being dominated by his holding.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stealing sucks against a loose/passive BB. Especially one who's going to call 2-bets cold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. He was new to the table. Obviously I didn't try stealing his big blind with marginal hands after this. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]