Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Top pair, flush draw, BDSD against LAG

MP is a LAG, 78/20/1.6 after about 100 hands. Earlier he cracked my aces with Q9o by capping preflop, capped the flop with straight draw, and hit on the river. He will bet every time someone checks to him.

Button is typical Party loose-passive.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button calls.

MP would raise preflop with almost any hand containing a face card. I figure he probably doesn't have a better J, or any J for that matter. Maybe he got lucky and flopped two pair or a set, but I think he raises preflop with any pair. A straight draw is also likely, 87 or maybe T8.

Button could be calling with a wide range of hands, I'm going to assume I have him beat.

Turn: (10 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Too much? Just enough? MP could be playing hard with almost anything, his aggression doesn't necessarily mean I'm beat, and I still have up to 14 outs if I'm behind. I figure button is just dead money to pad the pot with my extra raises.

River: (19 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP folds.

I figured there were a wide range of hands button could be calling down with, but his raise looks like he was calling down with a flush draw. Hopefully not a higher flush...

Final Pot: 24 BB
Old 08-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Top pair, flush draw, BDSD against LAG

Flop is fine, you've got TPDK and a very good flush draw here, so you're raising for value.

The turn 3bet is marginal, but given your read on MP and button's overlay I can see this being okay.

Button's raise on the river is a little scary so I can see just calling here vs 3betting. He's representing the flush, and if it was an Ahigh flush I think we'd have seen something on the flop from him, but even a K/Q high flush can beat you here, so I can see why you'd just call down here. Against MP I'd 3bet/call the cap on the river.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:06 PM

I like the flop. You have a lot of equity, 3 callers, and likely the best hand right now.

Given your read, i like the turn. Button is almost certainly drawing (and you share one of his draws), so he does pad the pot.

The river is good. At first, i thought about 3-betting to try and knock villain out, but villain doesn't look like much of a threat, so we're happy to have him overcall. I also thought that we are ahead of button (who is unlikely to have us on diamonds, given the preceding action, and who will raise with any two diamonds). However, there aren't a lot of connected/one-gapped diamonds left in the deck for us to beat: 87, 75, 54, 43, 32. It's more likely he has something like Ax or Kx. Thus, i think the call is correct.

NH!
Old 08-30-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button's raise on the river is a little scary so I can see just calling here vs 3betting. He's representing the flush, and if it was an Ahigh flush I think we'd have seen something on the flop from him, but even a K/Q high flush can beat you here, so I can see why you'd just call down here. Against MP I'd 3bet/call the cap on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to comment that we most likely would not have heard from Button as he/she is described as "typical loose-passive".

This certainly looks like an A-high FD, but I think we'll see an oddly played set, two-pair or crappy straight often enough to pay off the raise. I don't see us being good often enough to 3-bet.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:12 PM

I don't like a 3bet on the river either. I also think it's more common to see the 4 to flush nut draw bet/raise the flop than is typically given credit to here, even from a 'passive' player.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:01 PM

Bet the river for value. Any 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s will raise you here. Especially since you are representing a made hand from the flop.

You also might fold a Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 08-30-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river for value. Any 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s will raise you here. Especially since you are representing a made hand from the flop.

You also might fold a Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying 3-bet the river? Or lead the river?

Are you saying a Q-high flush will fold?