Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Session Studies: Review Group

After much deliberation (OK so it was a little deliberation between myself, Lau, and Numeri) we have finnally hashed out the ideas for the Session Study Group. The original idea was posted in This Thread Which had some good response and a few questions which then led to This Poll we are now ready I beleive to start the Session Study Group. I know what you're thinking "This is such a great idea how do I take part in it?"

Do you have a session or will you play a session of poker in the next few days? Would you like that session reviewed? Are you willing to do your best to help your fellow poster by taking the time to review/discuss someone elses sessions?

If the answers to all these questions are <font color="red">YES </font> then here's how it's done. There are 2 leaders, myself and Numeri. I will lead the full ring group and Numeri will head up the 6-max group. If you have a session or will have a session ready for review (that means just have a complete HH from any site of somewhere between 100 and 200 hands) then all you have to do is PM myself if it's a full ring session and PM Numeri if it's a 6-Max session by Monday at Noon EST. PM us with your Email adress (not the session itself) and we will take all the adresses we get, mix &amp; match them with a complicated formula and a bit of witchcraft. We will reply (by midnight Monday) to your PM with an Email adress for your reviewer, and an Email adress of some poor hapless soul who will subject their session to your reviews. You take the session you have and send it to the Email adress of your reviewer, and await the session that you must review. [note] The person who's session you review and the person who reviews your session will NOT be the same person [/note]

Then you make your reviews and get back in contact with the person who's session it is and discuss the session as you like (be it AIM, Email, Lots of PM's, or any other way you can devise). Your reviewer should be doing the same thing and then getting in contact with you. Please get back in contact by the end of the week so that both parties have ample time to discuss the sessions.

In two weeks we will do it all again.

In the spirit of Pax's MLL original thread here are some questions I expect will be asked frequently so I'll answer them now.
What counts as a session? Between 100 and 200 micro-limit hold'em poker hands that were played in a block. Don't omit PreFlop folds or your bad plays. Just 100 or so consecutive hands.
How should sessions be sent? By Email duh, j/k send them in their original hand history format (the exact same file the poker site sends you). This way the reviewer can convert it, or put it in PT and watch it hand by hand, or read the plain hand histories.
How much review should I do? As much as you can, someone else is taking the time to review your session to the best of their ability you should do the same. Look for leaks, repeated bad behavior, repeatedly missed bets, reads on their opponents.
How should I review? Pick the method that is easiest for you to analyze the play. I plan on making a wordpad file of the hand histories, and as I watch it played back on PT taking notes right there on the wordpad file just bellow the hand they aply to, then sending that wordpad file with all my notes back to the sender.
How much should we discuss? At least take the time to explain why you made the notes you did, debate the hands you don't agree on, or discuss the reasoning why certain plays they made were good. This is not just about tearing appart eachothers play but complimenting the good moves too.
I don't have Poker Tracker, is this a problem? If you can read a hand history manually and understand the action then it doesn't matter.
I don't like other posters seeing how I play, is this a problem? This unfortunately is something we will have to get over if we want constructive criticsm, I've tried to find a way to be annonomous with this but for discussion to take place it's nearly imposible.
I don't bathe regularly, is this a problem? That's the beauty of the internet buddy.
I haven't played in the past few weeks but have an older session I'd like someone to look at? Go for it, time it was played doesn't matter.
I'm gonna be to busy the next two weeks does this mean I will miss out on this? For this round yes, but don't worry man in two weeks or whenever you have the time you can join.
I can do it this week but maybe not in two weeks, should I still do it? This is not a static thing, like the MLL you do it when you can and skip it when you're busy. We will do this once every 2 weeks. The times you see this post and can do it PM your Email adress, the times you can't don't PM and you will not be bugged about it.
I don't think I can take the jab to my ego of having someone analyze my play, is this a problem? Unless you are Miles, Shill, or Shadow (they are acctually as good as they think they are [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) you probably have things you can work on, and as Alan Schoonmaker discusses in Psycology of Poker, if you can't be honest with yourself you will improve a little but never to the level that you'd like.

If you have any further questions you can post them in this thread and myself, Numeri, Lau, or perhaps another poster who knows the answer will do so. If all else fails PM questions to me or Numeri. Or you can reach me on AIM at NomadTLA1.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Session Studies: Review Group

I don't want anything reviewed, but I would be happy to review.

Is this a problem?

If it is, I can dredge up some micro hands from like Februrary...
Old 10-22-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want anything reviewed, but I would be happy to review.

Is this a problem?

If it is, I can dredge up some micro hands from like Februrary...

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try and keep a list of people who are open to just doing revieiwing. Though I think an important part of this is looking at other players hands and learning to think things out in their minds. If you'd like to dredge up some old sessions that would Rock. I know some people will get more out of being reviewed then others, and I greatly appreciate all of you with more experience who are willing to help out. But I'd like to have this be kind of a rotating thing and would like to have as many senders as reviewers for balance. So if you are not as concerned with being reviewed just find some session to help keep that ballance.

*Again I state my thanks to all those who are willing to help review knowing they will probably get less from their reviewers. I'm just looking to conecting people, helping people get sessions reviwed, and hopefully help us all get better.*
Old 10-22-2005, 10:25 AM

Bump for the morning group.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:46 AM

I've moved up to 2/4 6max, but micros is my home at 2+2, and HUSH and SSH probably don't have this kind of cool thing going. VPIPs are often 60-80% and play is worse than I found at UB .50/1.

is this a problem?
Old 10-22-2005, 10:58 AM

LOL 60/80%. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have found 50-60% plenty of times but 80?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've moved up to 2/4 6max, but micros is my home at 2+2, and HUSH and SSH probably don't have this kind of cool thing going. VPIPs are often 60-80% and play is worse than I found at UB .50/1.

is this a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. We'll have a mix of 6-max hands from 0.5/1 through 3/6. Even if it's not a level people currently play at, it should be educational for both sides.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

is this a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. We'll have a mix of 6-max hands from 0.5/1 through 3/6. Even if it's not a level people currently play at, it should be educational for both sides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the 6-max group can go much higher in limits since 6-max doesn't start to tighten up till much higher. For Full we'll go anywhere from the nano's .02/.04 up to 1/2 though obviously the nano's with no rake are a different strategy. That was the limit range I was thinking of for full and Numeri put a good range on 6-max IMO

Edited cause I can't spell
Old 10-22-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL 60/80%. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have found 50-60% plenty of times but 80?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive got three in my db over 80, and 10 over 70.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:44 PM

This is a great idea. Can't wait.