Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Funky Games to call when it\'s dealer\'s choice

[ QUOTE ]
Thermonuclear pineapple is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know about ThermoNuclear Pineapple?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:17 PM

This one's called 3-5-7. They play it at the bust-out-table during a tourny.

Everyone ante's $1 (or whatever) to the center, then places (3) $1 bills or chips in front of them.

Your delt 3 cards. During this round 3's are wild. You have the option of showing down or not. If you showdown, you and the others at the showdown show your cards to each other only (those not in the showdown can't see) and decide between yourselves who has the best hand. Straights count but flushes do not. The winner takes the pot money from the middle ($1 for all playing) and the loser(s) have to put in another $1.

If no one shows down, the last person to act gets to take back $1 from the money in front of him.

Next round you get 2 more cards for a total of 5. This round, 5's are wild. Again, everyone has an option of staying in or going out. Again, at the showdown, only those who stay in see the cards. Winners take the pot, losers put in. Now flushes also apply.

Last round, 2 more cards for a total of 7 and 7's are wild. Everything goes as before, except all show down.

The game goes on until one person has taken back all the money in front of him.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one's called 3-5-7.
Straights count but flushes do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? That means straight flushes are no good either, making trips and pairs way too dominant.
Or do you assume everyone with a 3-flush will continue anyway, so let them pay to draw?

"If no one shows down, the last person to act gets to take back $1 from the money in front of him."
Ugh- extra bonus for position?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way I've played Anaconda,
everyone is dealt 7 cards face down- bet
3 cards past to your left-bet
2 cards past to your left -bet
1 card past your left -bet

winning hands are usually low quads, mid SFs or occasionally a big boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't know if 'our' rules are the correct way to play it, so yours may very well be the right way. Still, in these bastardized poker variants 'rules' often vary from place to place/table to table. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 PM

I have over 700 at my web site. My favorites are Anaconda and Three Card Guts, but a poker night does not go by without at least one game of King Little or Monty Priscilla King Snake.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 PM

There's a book called "Dealer's Choice" written by a friend of a friend, its all about crazy poker games.
The one i've always wanted to play was River Of Blood, if the river card is red then there's another round of betting, if the 6th card is also red, then there's another, until a black card is dealt.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way I've played Anaconda,
everyone is dealt 7 cards face down- bet
3 cards past to your left-bet
2 cards past to your left -bet
1 card past your left -bet

winning hands are usually low quads, mid SFs or occasionally a big boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is how I play it too. Think the average winning hand is approximately queens or jacks full. We usually play high-lo. Without the nut low, you don't tend to be very confident for the low end, although sometimes when lots of people fold early and you have passed only high cards you can be a little more confident in a bad 6 or smooth 7.

My favourite invention (never seen it anywhere else) is a hi-lo game called Roll Em. Everyone is dealt 7 cards face down as per anaconda. You keep four of the cards and put three down in front of you. There is a round of betting and eveyone rolls one card in front of them. repeat until all three cards in front of you are exposed.

After the final round of betting you make a 5 card hand from the four cards you kept and the three rolled cards of anyone still in the game EXCEPT your own. If you declare hi-lo (very rare), you can use a different set of three cards for the high and the low.

There are a number of interesting catches in this game. If someone folds, then the cards in front of them that you may have been relying on fold with them. So your monster can easily get ruined by another player.

Average winning hand is quite similar to anaconda for the high but very board dependent for the low (if the lowest card anyone rolls is an 8, no-one can make better than an 8 low). Since you can't use your own cards, low cards kept are weakened if you have to roll a low card that others can use but you can't.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:13 AM

Read about it here. We use it often to settle the pot at the end of the night, as it is a little less luck oriented than HE.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favourite invention (never seen it anywhere else) is a hi-lo game called Roll Em.

[/ QUOTE ]

From time to time we would play Roll'Em in college as an addendum to whatever game we were playing (to add betting rounds). So we would play 5 card draw roll'em, 7 card stud roll'em, hold'em and roll'em, etc. Lots of fun.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM

One favorite from my home game is a game called "Push," aka "Take It Or Leave It." I'll see if I can find a link to the rules, b/c it is a lot to summarize.

Another game I found interested is something called English Stud. Two down and one up, bet. One up, bet. One up, bet. Then there are two draw rounds. I've always played it for free. I suppose you could play it to pay for the draw. Anyway, discard an up card, you get an up card. Discard a down card, get a down card. YOu fill after everyone had discarded the card.