Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Have I taken this folding thing too far?

I know consistency isn't the goal of poker, but I'm kinda new and trying to wrap my head around some ideas. In this thread AT hand people advocated a push saying that villian is very likely to play K10 this way.

Is the differnce here, that the villian was in the blinds? I think a fold is correct, but I thought it was correct in the A10 hand also. But, I'm starting to think I'm too weak/tight.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know consistency isn't the goal of poker, but I'm kinda new and trying to wrap my head around some ideas. In this thread AT hand people advocated a push saying that villian is very likely to play K10 this way.

Is the differnce here, that the villian was in the blinds? I think a fold is correct, but I thought it was correct in the A10 hand also. But, I'm starting to think I'm too weak/tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it's the same thing. Most people at the 33s don't understand the concept of being outkicked.

I insta-call the push, BTW.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is quite a bit of difference, to me at least, between these two posts. In the AT hand, villain did not play from the blinds.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:42 PM

You've taken this "not raising preflop" thing too far.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 PM

So it seems as a general rule, y'all are willing to go to the felt with TPTK on Party at any level.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it seems as a general rule, y'all are willing to go to the felt with TPTK on Party at any level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tewall,

See my posts at teh bottom and please reply. I am not so willing and was told my logic is utterly horrible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am willing to accept that, but i am also willing to discuss reasons as to why my logic is so flawed (in some people's opinion) Feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:17 PM

The problem with your logic (from your post at the bottom) is there isn't enough time to wait for a better situation if you're involved with what you think is a clear edge, because of the tournament structure. You can get away from from marginal situations if you don't have many chips involved.

Regarding TPTK, I would have no reservations whatsoever to go to the felt at level 2 on Party. At level 1, I wouldn't mind either if there were only a couple of opponents (i.e. 2 or 1) and the pot has been raised (and I like to raise enough so it's unlikely to get more than 2). I wouldn't have been involved in the quandry of this post in the first place because I would have either folded AJo or raised with it. If the pots been raised, it seems much easier to me to commit to the hand, as you probably only have 1 or two guys to beat, and hands like J6, J4, and 64 have been weeded out, meaning you only have to worry about higher pocket pairs and sets, and if your opponent has one of those, good for him.

Limping in an unraised pot and flopping top pair and getting that much action would make me nervous when there are 3 opponents involved. However, on that particular flop, I would find it hard to get away from the hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:54 PM

why do u not raise with Aj on the button in an unraised pot? do u fold AJ preflop to a 3-4 BB raise?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:40 AM

I understand not raising preflop. If you raise and SB calls you can count on BB making a very well placed steal raise. Even a donk makes this play with his stack. When you raise with small stack on the button it is usually looks like a steal and becomes a target. Either you have to put in a big enough raise to appear pot committed or just call and see what the flop brings. Myself I would have preferred the A to flop. I can see a donk pushing Ax here but Jx with a caller and raise behind him? I dont see to many 3 bet Pair of J's even at 33's. Had SB Insta pushed I may call but the re raise from early position with this board coming out of the blinds doesn't look good unless you have a solid read on villain.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand not raising preflop. If you raise and SB calls you can count on BB making a very well placed steal raise. Even a donk makes this play with his stack. When you raise with small stack on the button it is usually looks like a steal and becomes a target. Either you have to put in a big enough raise to appear pot committed or just call and see what the flop brings.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the BB has to worry about MP1 who open limped, if BB reraises you then its a pretty easy fold, not a steal. you want to be heads up with MP1 so you should raise and not let the SB and BB in for cheap.