Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Amusing reaction to 79s push ( low content )

Live $100 +$100 single rebuy Hawaian Gardens tourney Friday night.

16 left, we're in the money, it folds to me in the cutoff
with 79s. My M is 5. The players in the blinds have been pretty tight, so has the button, and they all have medium-ish stacks. I make the routine push.

BB wakes up with AK, I outdraw him, he is crippled.

He proceeds to storm away from the table, muttering under his breath what an idiot I am, and I look up to see several other rather shocked faces around the table as well.

These are otherwise pretty decent players.

I found this surprising and gratifying to say the least..........
Old 12-19-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Amusing reaction to 79s push ( low content )

People are idiots.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM

"Hawaian Gardens"

nuff said...
Old 12-19-2005, 01:56 PM

With 8BB late in a Stars tourney, I once pushed 66 against a hyper-aggressive UTG+1's 3BB raise. He called with QQ and I drew a 6 on the river. Two railbirds instantly berated me for my ridiculous play, and one in particular could not say enough bad things about me. I was, he reported, the biggest fish on Stars for winning with 66 against QQ.

No more than 5 hands later, the exact same player raised 3BB in early position, and LP with 7BB raised all in. Hyper-aggressive EP called, showing AQo against LP's 66; 66 held up unimproved. Big mouth railbird congratulated him, and when questioned for his reversal of opinion by a player at the table offered this gem: "That was completely different. He was ahead pre-flop."

[ QUOTE ]
People are idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 8BB late in a Stars tourney, I once pushed 66 against a hyper-aggressive UTG+1's 3BB raise. He called with QQ and I drew a 6 on the river. Two railbirds instantly berated me for my ridiculous play, and one in particular could not say enough bad things about me. I was, he reported, the biggest fish on Stars for winning with 66 against QQ.

No more than 5 hands later, the exact same player raised 3BB in early position, and LP with 7BB raised all in. Hyper-aggressive EP called, showing AQo against LP's 66; 66 held up unimproved. Big mouth railbird congratulated him, and when questioned for his reversal of opinion by a player at the table offered this gem: "That was completely different. He was ahead pre-flop."

[ QUOTE ]
People are idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't like your reraise with 8xBB and 66. EP raiser may be hyperaggressive, but I don't think this is EV+, particularly if there are others to act.

If he raised to 3xBB and you pushed with 14xBB, this would be a good play, as you have lots of folding equity.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:14 PM

Lol.

What I find interesting is - the same players who were shocked - shocked!! - that I would push with 79s, were calling all ins with A2 and KT. If they think only AT+ should be pushing there, why are they calling with junk then?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two railbirds instantly berated me for my ridiculous play,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll admit it. I play online all weekend because I have no life. As they aren't even playing, that should tell you all you need to know about chat-birds.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If chat-birds get out of line or abusive, I ask them to stifle or risk a complaint. That usually gets them to shut their pie-hole.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 PM

This story reminds me of a hand I had with 75s. It was quite early in a live tournament. I had this hand on the button in an unraised pot with about 3 already in. Small blind called and BB checked. Flop came K75r. SB went all in and everyone folded to me. I called. He had AK. My hand held up and he was out of the tournament. Needless to say he was furious. I never had to say a word as several others told him he should have raised preflop. What made this so sweet was that this guy had been telling me how to play for about 45 minutes and while I certainly am open to suggestions, he was pretty nasty about it. I noticed recently that he doesn't tell me how to play anymore.