Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 12:51 PM

Default flopped trips, re raised on turn

Suited connectors in LP, I limped and flopped trips, bb is LAG, no read on UTG1, MP2 is solid.

Preflop: Hero has 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in CO
UTG folds, UTG1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, bb checks

Flop: (4.5 SB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
bb checks,<font color="red">UTG1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, bb calls

Turn: (4.25 BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
bb checks, <font color="red">UTG1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="red">bb 3-bets</font>, UTG1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls

My read at this point is that bb has at least trip 5's with a better kicker than my 4, maybe a boat since he was the bb. I figured UTG1 has pp, or hit K on turn and MP2 has flush draw. The pot is too big to fold, but should I have capped the turn? Should I raise on the river, or, just call?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: flopped trips, re raised on turn

You should have raised on the flop when most players were trapped.

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is too big to fold, but should I have capped the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first half of the sentence does not fit well with the second half. The second half of the sentence doesn't go well with this:

[ QUOTE ]
My read at this point is that bb has at least trip 5's with a better kicker than my 4, maybe a boat since he was the bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your best play is to just call the 3-bet on the turn and call a river bet. You have a hand that's too strong to fold, but not strong enough to want to put in lots of bets. Get to the showdown for two bets and see what they have.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 PM

My thoughts -

Turn: problem here is you called the flop...so UTG1 bets again and now you raise - everyone thinks you have Kx.

BB may have (EDIT: or 2 clubs) 5x or K5 or K3 or Kx. I think AK or K3 or Kx for top pair / 2 pair (vs sad bottom pair or overcards on the flop) so he doesn't believe you or he may have you beat - you need to cap.

River: depends on the card...and who bets / doesn't bet.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 PM

I'd go ahead and raise the flop.

The way you played it though I'd call after the check/3-bet. You have a lot of hidden outs for a split if he just has a better kicker.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Raise the flop. As played, call down.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:38 PM

I figured that I would wait until the turn to raise for several reasons. These may be wrong and I hope someone will tell me if they are.
No one is folding after committing one bet on the flop. If they have a flush draw, or str8 flush draw, or just a str8 draw, they would call the raise, have a good idea that I had trips &amp; check it to me on the turn and re-draw for the river.
If the turn card looks pretty safe I feel confident that I have the best hand and can trap everyone for 2 big bets on the turn given I have great position. The turn 3-bet from the bb was unexpected.
In the end, a blank hit the river, the bb bet, UTG1 called, MP2 folded and I called. bb showed J5, UTG1 showed AK, and I lost the pot w/ trip 5's and 4 kicker.
Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 11-09-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured that I would wait until the turn to raise for several reasons. These may be wrong and I hope someone will tell me if they are.
No one is folding after committing one bet on the flop. If they have a flush draw, or str8 flush draw, or just a str8 draw, they would call the raise, have a good idea that I had trips &amp; check it to me on the turn and re-draw for the river.
If the turn card looks pretty safe I feel confident that I have the best hand and can trap everyone for 2 big bets on the turn given I have great position. The turn 3-bet from the bb was unexpected.
In the end, a blank hit the river, the bb bet, UTG1 called, MP2 folded and I called. bb showed J5, UTG1 showed AK, and I lost the pot w/ trip 5's and 4 kicker.
Final Pot: 18 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise is forcing BB to call 2 cold, getting 3.25:1, which is technically not enough for a straight or flush draw, and he just might fold on this board. Furthermore, if he does "call anyway" then he is making a -EV move, while you are making a +EV move. Bet it now. Furthermore, BB UTG+1 has not defined his hand. He may be betting out with overcards or a mid-PP because he feels he has the best hand. Even if he 3-bets, you will both be trapping MP2 in between. Again, -EV for him.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM

grunch...

anyone else fold preflop here? i know i do

flop you have to raise, wheel and flush draws need to be charged, plus you have the field trapped for 2 anyway

the rest of the hand plays pretty differently after that... but how you have played it you should definitely not be capping the turn. id probably call down

Edit: noone else mentioned preflop?? there are 2 limpers and very low suited connectors. if you do manage to get 6 runners you are guaranteed to lose position.... surely there isnt enough value here?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunch...

anyone else fold preflop here? i know i do

flop you have to raise, wheel and flush draws need to be charged, plus you have the field trapped for 2 anyway

the rest of the hand plays pretty differently after that... but how you have played it you should definitely not be capping the turn. id probably call down

Edit: noone else mentioned preflop?? there are 2 limpers and very low suited connectors. if you do manage to get 6 runners you are guaranteed to lose position.... surely there isnt enough value here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on how much value you can extract post-flop from the other players, which depends on your reads of the blinds and limpers. This hand is marginal and you don't give up much by either limping or folding.