Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Playing against flush draws.

A situation that I seem to run into a lot is when I'm dealt a big pocket pair (JJ-AA). I play it aggressively pre-flop, capping if possible. Often, I see two to a flush fall on the flop. In these loose low limit games, there are very commonly as many as 4 or even 5 opponents still in at this point. Assuming there are no overcards to my pocket pair, I continue to push the betting (is this correct in most cases?). The issue is, these flush draws definitely have odds to keep drawing by this point, so I can't push them out. It seems that 3rd suited card always falls on the river (not always, but it just feels like it). What I'm wondering is at that point, should I just check/call or should I still lead out? It seems like a mistake to assume someone was 'always' on a flush draw, but when I get raised or check raised (depending on position), now I've spent 2 big bets to showdown instead of 1. Anyway, I think I've talked myself into check-calling these situations, but is this right or should I continue to be the aggressor?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Playing against flush draws.

We need more details; most specifically, how many opponents do you have and what has the action been?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:00 AM

Generally speaking you want to be pumping the pot when you know you're ahead.
That 3rd flush card can only come up by the river around 1/3 times at most, so you are going to beat flush draws more than your fair share of the time. Of course there are other things to consider too.
The line on the river, as cold_cash said, will depend on reads and previous action etc.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 AM

I can't find the crypto hand converter in the faq or by searching. Can anyone point me to it? I'd really appreciate it. Trying to type it out is just not working. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't find the crypto hand converter in the faq or by searching. Can anyone point me to it? I'd really appreciate it. Trying to type it out is just not working. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't believe there is one. And typing it out by hand isn't that bad once you've done a few.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you download the Dave G hand converter that's in the FAQ, it'll handle Crypto's. Dave G, if you're listening, have you given any thought to updating your converter to handle Prima and Absolute [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 AM

Here's a hypothetical situation:

Both villains here are loose and passive - they'll call down with any pair and don't raise without a very strong hand.

We have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP.

Preflop: folded to us, we raise, folded to the blinds who both call.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
blinds check, we bet, they call

Turn: (4.5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
blinds check, we bet, they call

River: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
blinds check, we bet, SB calls, BB check/raises, <font color="blue">we fold</font>

We're not obligated to call a river raise or check/raise. We need to bet here because both villains will call with a pair - we miss out on a ton of value if we check behind.

There are lots of other situations, of course. I hope this gives you an idea of what we're talking about.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 AM

Hey Wookie,

I thought I made a post about this, but anyway. Check out this version of bisonbison's convertor. All you need to do is reorder the positions at the beginning so they're sequential. I read about it here.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Wookie,

I thought I made a post about this, but anyway. Check out this version of bisonbison's convertor. All you need to do is reorder the positions at the beginning so they're sequential. I read about it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good. I think I may update the FAQ with this link rather than the zerodivide link. Have you tested this converter out with other sites, just to be sure. I've only tested Party, Absolute, Stars, and UB. I don't have any from anywhere else that are current, and I'm not even sure which I should be testing. My main reason for the update, however, is that this link defaults to 2+2 format rather than FTR.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:44 AM

I haven't tested any others, since I'm only on Absolute lately. I only play about 500 hands a week, so I never get through my bonus there.