Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 09:04 PM

Default JJ flopped set

$10+1
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

UTG (t1440)
UTG+1 (t1520)
MP1 (t5230)
MP2 (t1650)
Hero (t1510)
CO (t1920)
Button (t1220)
SB (t1410)
BB (t1900)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t120</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t120, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t100.

<font color="green"> should i be re-raising this preflop?</font>

Flop: (t370) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t380</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1390</font>, BB ?

<font color="green"> is that a good re-raise?</font>
Old 01-17-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: JJ flopped set

Hey House, I think you played this hand fairly well. I like the smooth call PF because it allows you to fold to an unfriendly flop and/or lots of action on this kind of flop. With the blinds at this level, I very rarely reraise someone who has raised it to 6BBs. You can play for set value which is exactly what you did.

Your flop action may be a little more read dependent... any knowledge of the BB (in terms of looseness or tightness) might sway the way I play this here. But assuming you had little or no read on the BB I'd probably raise a little less on the assumption that he had either top pair with AK, or a two pair with KQ, KJ, or QJ. The hope here is to try and convince the BB to move in on the flop with one of these hands that he is drawing slim with, or to pot stick him with so he has to call your insuing push on the turn.

His bet means he probably does not have a spade draw except for maybe AQs, which is again, a hand which is going all in against you anyways. If the guy has A 10, you still have outs, and all the money is getting in their anyways.

The all in reraise is not a bad play to protect your hand a pair and straight draw here, but i do not believe that's what you were up against. I probably reraise 500 more, and if he smooth calls this bet (which probably will not), I'm all in on the turn. You do not want to give this guy a chance to lay down two pair or TPTK, and if you're beat before the turn, that's just poker.

Cheers Pat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: JJ flopped set

You played it good. Either he has a hand like TT/99 and a smooth call wouldnt make you any more money. The only thing that would do is giving him a shot at beating you with a turned straight.

If he has AK, KQ all the money is probably going in whether you just raise a little or go allin. You played it the best way in my opinion.