Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 05:02 PM

Default AK 1st level

I was two tabling the 30s for a while but I had to cash out almost my entire bankroll to pay for some unanticipated school expenses and left myself with just a couple hundred dollars so I'm back in the fun world of 10+1s.

This was the eighth hand or so, I've only shown down QQ for a decent pot. The villain had earlier reraised a preflop min-raise to 155 but folded to a reraise all in. Too early for real reads though. Which leads us to...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter

MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t1035)
CO (t1505)
Button (t1445)
SB (t615)
BB (t800)
Hero(t1000)
UTG+1 (800)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t225</font>. Hero..?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: AK 1st level

HERO <font color="red"> </font> folds..

dont sweat playing AK early on . like curtains says, you dont want to take coin flips early , thats an error
Old 06-19-2005, 10:24 PM

I know some guys that limp AK UTG for this reason. Although I prefer to raise with it like you did, and fold to a RR at this stage of the game.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:42 PM

The guy's got only t615 behind. Not enough to call and play flops... AKo is only a coinflip here against sane opponents. Still, I don't see too many sane opponents around. I think you can fold this.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 AM

Probably best to muck and wait for a better hand....AK is like a lot of people you know...full of potential.....but need to improve.
This early, I wait for a better spot....another hand will be along in a few seconds

but that's just one donk's opinion.....
Old 07-01-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t225</font>. Hero..?

[/ QUOTE ]

Time banks while he checks this guys prophecy stats and how he lost around 200 chips. I'm all for folding if you didn't have position on this guy, but if he lost those chips in a donkish manner that cuts down on the reverse implied odds factor here and I'm calling expecting to stack him if an ace or king hits or take the pot if he throws out a weak bet or check. If he lost those chips overplaying AJ or AQ im reraising all in expecting to be ahead of his range.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:03 AM

I would be inclined to push this at the $10s. His re-raising range likely includes at least AQ and you're getting 1.3:1 on a called push.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:13 AM

Ilya,

Huh it seems like your thinking is the oposite of mine regarding the buy in. I was thinking I can find better spots than this in a 10, but you're thinking because its a 10 his range is bigger than it should be. Intresting.

If his range is AA-TT, AQ+ you are actually a slight underdog FWIW, so I would only recommend the RR if you think you have folding equity.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ilya,

Huh it seems like your thinking is the oposite of mine regarding the buy in. I was thinking I can find better spots than this in a 10, but you're thinking because its a 10 his range is bigger than it should be. Intresting.

If his range is AA-TT, AQ+ you are actually a slight underdog FWIW, so I would only recommend the RR if you think you have folding equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his range is AA-TT, AQ+, this is an easy push. You're getting 1.3-1 on what is essentially an even-money proposition. And there's even a remote chance he'll fold AQ/TT. Ok, not really. But either way, you're certainly getting enough of an overlay.

Passing up good spots early on is counterproductive. The future better spots won't go anywhere. I.e. you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:29 AM

Hmm this is intresting. Realize if you do this is would only be to increase your $/hr at the expense of your ROI, I mean there are only 90 chips worth of dead money in there not exactly a huge overlay when you are an underdog. From a wage thing a certainly agree with you, but I still pause to think, this is an 11 I can find better spots (I'm postive I can).