Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Final Table $30 MTT Party

I forgot to get the hand history, but basically there's 7 left out of 500 and I'm UTG+1.

I'm at 30K, the rest are pretty even ranging from 20K to 100K as the chip leader. BB is 4000.

UTG+1 I get 1010, I make it 10K to go, all folds around until SB which reraises me all-in (40K).

What would you do in this situation?

I'm comfortably in the money, and the reraiser doesn't seem particularly tight or loose. I've seen him a couple hands ago call a smaller stack all-in with AQ, so basically I'm thinking a coin-flip.

Anyways, I call the all-in and he shows QQ, I finish 7th.

Did I make the wrong call here? I figure that if I fold, I am somewhat crippled to 20K. I was hoping he had been pushing with AK, AQ and that I could double up which would increase my chances dramatically for that first or second finish.

Any comments are much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Final Table $30 MTT Party

If you were planning to call any all in, I would probably have simply moved in myself. There are some metagame considerations (as in what the jumps are, how many short stacks there are, the speed of the table, etc), but my first instinct would have been to open for all my chips.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:13 AM

I have to agree with Punker, as you are lower than 10x the BB, you should basically be all in or folding. What would you do if someone called the flop came something like AKQ. You don't want to be laying down your hand after investing about 1/3 of your chips in it.

Obviously, QQ is not exactly laying down in this situation, but you dont want to give someone odds to call your 10k raise with a crap ace and hit it.

You've left yourself with very few chips if you fold here, so avoid this altogether and move in first.

Cheers, Pat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2005, 11:41 AM

I would push from UTG with TT. Obviously you don't want to be called by JJ-and up, but there is only 8 hands that dominate you, and the rest are either a coin flip, or you have them dominated, or they have 3 outers.

Because if your called, and the flop is all overs, that would suck, and the blinds are just about to hit you again, so that might be a problem.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:51 AM

So maybe I should have pushed in - this hadn't really occurred to me, because the pace of the table was quite fast, with a lot of 2-2.5BB raises either taking out the blinds or a coinflip situation.

So is 1010 a good hand in a 7 person final table situation? Did I just get unlucky? I ended up getting $480 from a $30 investment, but I felt like maybe I should have stuck it out and moved up one or two places for a couple hundred. Then again, if the guy had AK and I won, I would have a shot at 1st or 2nd which was $3K or $2K.

This is my first time to a final table, so I guess I'm just unsure about how my play should change since moving up one or two places makes such a big difference.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Congratulations, ironically 7th is my best finish in a big MTT too. Isn't it a great feeling when you make the final table?? My first goal is to get to "hand for hand" play, then I know I'm close to the money. What a great feeling!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:38 PM

I agree with what these other guys are saying. Either:

A.) Open for a little less than 10k so you're not so damn pot committed

or

B.) Just open for it all

I certainly don't see anything wrong with option B. There is also the third (and WAY too tight, IMO) option of folding TT UTG.

Regardless of all this, its poker, [censored] happens. Congrats on your 7th place finish.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt like maybe I should have stuck it out and moved up one or two places for a couple hundred.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all has to do with your goal for the tourney as well as the prize structure implications. Were there any stacks that were very close to busting out? Were you more interested in moving up a few places in the money or in putting yourself in a position to win the tournament?

If there was someone that was basically blinding all in or close to it and the prize jump was fairly decent, I'd probably consider folding 1010 here. It completely has to with your goals, but as you described the status of the tournament, this should be an auto-push.

Good luck in future tourneys,
Pat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you don't want to be called by JJ-and up, but there is only 8 hands that dominate you

[/ QUOTE ]

What 8 hands dominate him here? JJ-AA, only four hands.
The rest, he is a favourite over, either by a slim margin (ie. AK, AQ, etc), or a fairly big favourite (A10,A9, 77, 88,99).