Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Aces, the river pairs the board, and I check/raise...

I'm not sure about this play. Will you fold if he 3-bets it?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:13 PM

Heh. I just posted something similar here.

It's scary without reads, but you know, balls to the wall.

I seriously think there is value in it.

I approve. :2 thumbs up:
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about this play. Will you fold if he 3-bets it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very good question. I don't think I could bring myself to fold it if he did 3bet, but I don't think there are any hands he 3bets that I beat.

How would you have played this? Bet/call? Check/call? Bet/fold? 3bet the turn?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:25 PM

I think 3-betting the turn has the same problem if he caps. So in the heat of the moment, and with no reads on BB, I'd probably just whimper and call down.

If I had a read on him that said he was an aggressive or bluffy player, I'd likely 3-bet the turn.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play 2/4 so I guess I can't really answer that.

At lower levels I would expect the turn raise to just be a Q most of the time. Of course villain *could* have a set or *could* have a straight, but I think that's giving my loose opponent way too much credit at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not liking this line due to the fact the donks do get decent hands more than once in a while and hit the flop. Not that I'm giving them credit for superb pre or post flop play however they generally play two pairs or sets in this fashion, in my experience.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You think a default 2/4 player will raise this turn with any Q? I guess it's possible, but I think that two pair or a slowplayed set is far more likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at .5/1, and usually the turn raise here means set, or the str8, maybe two pair. Most players at the lower level will go ahead and raise the flop w/o waiting for the turn when they make top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't know where this notion comes from of lower limit players having bigger balls on the expensive streets.
One of the reasons .5/1 is so soft IMO is that they're so damn predictable - a turn raise/CR is almost always a monster - 2-pair minimum. I've seen people raise a lot more marginal stuff on 4th street since my brief stint at 2/4.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 PM

I don't think I three bet the turn as his raise makes me think he's got 2 pair here. I don't often see the single Q wait until the turn to raise, would more expect that on the flop.

Leading the river will at least prevent the three bet that could have happened when you c/r, but it also allows him to continue thinking his ragged 2 pair is the best. I probably lead out on the river and call down the 2 bet.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:57 PM

Seems like a lot of folks are saying to pop him on the turn, but I wouldn't. Hero raised pre-flop and led the flop. Flop is pretty drawless. Turn doesn't help that much for draws, yet now Hero -- the only aggressor so far -- is raised and cold-called behind.

Let's forget about MP3 for now, and assume he's just calling down with a weak made hand or a draw (maybe a bad assumption, but so far, he's shown no aggression).

BB could be raising without having us beat now as a bluff/semi-bluff to both knock out MP3 or even get us to fold. He could be slow-playing 2-pair or set from the flop. He could have just made 2-pair on the turn. He could be overplaying TP.

Without reads, I think we need to give him credit for being ahead of us often enough to make a 3-bet less profitable OOP (we probably won't be able to get a free showdown). Also, MP3 has already called 2 cold, so we wouldn't be able to knock him out to get it HU against BB.

The river is really interesting. A lot of the ways we were behind just got counterfeited. So, I would want to get something into the pot, here. If they realize that (and it applied to them), it would get checked through if we try for a check-raise. Plus, if we're beat, we'll get 3-bet, and I think we need to call, so that would suck. OTOH, if we are ahead, check-raising could net us another 1-2 BB.

I think that since we definitely want to get chips in when we're ahead, and since I would feel obligated to call a 3-bet if we check-raised, I'd probably bet out the river. But I think it's pretty close vs. unknowns.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I could bring myself to fold it if he did 3bet,

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don't do this. You gotta be able to lay those down to make close (and often correct) plays like this.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-12-2005, 03:09 PM

If you arent going to fold to a 3 bet then the only line you should take is Stop N Go on the river. Bet out and call a raise, villian might have the odd Q7, 76, 88 (him putting you on AK like every single player in LLH seems to do when you raise),99, or 66,77, 45. The percentile you put on those hands against the villian would determine the proper play. But I think it is FPS in this case instead of betting out.