Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Default and the PP 500k qualifier knockout...

blinds now 2.5k/5k. Hero stack is 47k.
villian utg limps. Hero raises 3x BB wanting action with KK.
flop T72 rainbow. villian checks.
Obviously, villian raises preflop with TT.
Unlikely holding of 22.
Hero is all in. Villian turns over 77.
Turn is a 7.
I can't imagine the right play here was to move allin preflop. I debated limping and hoping for a raise, and then move allin, but the table was tight.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: and the PP 500k qualifier knockout...

You wanted action and you got it. Getting drawn out on is the risk you run when you invite action. It's not necessarily the wrong play, but it's a higher variance play. How many were left until you made the seat? If you were close, you should definitely be taking the lower variance play.

Villain still made a mistake by calling you, since even if he got away after the flop everytime he didn't make a set and you payed him off every time he did, the call would still be -EV for him.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM

9 left, 7 seats. At 47k I was shortstack by about 25k. As tight as this table was I was looking for one hand to get me back to 7th so I could just fold my way to a seat. KK seemed a good choice at the time and that flop seemed harmless enough...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:55 PM

If you needed the double up, I think the play is fine. Maybe raise to 4x pre-flop, but either way is fine. Just unlucky he made a set.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:58 PM

Given you were short stack, a standard raise, miniraise, or limp looks fine.

If you were a bigger stack, there would be various approaches to take, including folding preflop.

Try not to let anyone flop a set when you have a big pair.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Im assuming you're also in ep if your looking for a limp reraise or at least mp 1 or 2, depending on how aggressively your opponents have been playing. I think this wouldnt be a bad option considering if it doesnt get raised and an ace flops and its a multiway flop, you can get away from the hand and still have 42k left. However moving in here is worth 12.5k, 25% of your stack. I think this could be the better play, especially if you are close to the money and want to drive out medium/weak aces and smaller pairs held by medium stacked opponents. The villian is getting nearly 3to1 to call so i dont think he can fold here with 7's, so i think it really depends on how far away you are to qualifying. If you were close i would push and protect, if you still have a ways to go and need to build your stack then your play was fine. Overall you were just unlucky, and the hand is hard to get away from postflop and shortstacked.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:08 PM

Thanks. In my mind the mistake was playing the other hand passively and putting myself into a position where I needed action. Live and learn...
Old 12-24-2005, 01:16 PM

I've had similar experiences in the past month. I bleed my own stack by some combination of misplaying or luck, and I do the "right" thing later, in desperation mode, but get donked out.