Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Third man walking rule....

I did not want to hyjack the Wynn thread but in the Wynn thread Mason stated this:

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I was there Friday night and discovered that they now have the "third man walking rule." I told a couple of their on duty managers that if they keep this rule and enforce it, they should be out of their jobs in the not to distant future.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be a Foxwoods-specific thing but they have the rule and enforce it here. Granted, I'd rather play shorthanded but, as we all know, most do not. When the regulars are on top of it and/or the dealer; the floor is pretty good at picking someone up and filling that seat if they have been gone for too long. They are also very good at announcing over the PA to get back to your seats as "your game is in danger of breaking."

I would like what others think about the rule. I feel it keeps the game going. Granted there is nearly always a 12+ deep list at Foxwoods for the 20 game, 24hrs, maybe this has something to do with it.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Third man walking rule....

can u explain the rule please?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:11 PM

I beleive most Tunica rooms use the rule. I really have no opinion on the rule, other than when I've got a seat, I can play full or short. It does help with the massive wait lists though.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:19 PM

One of the biggest problems in vegas seems to be people abusing the rule to continually go away for an hour at a time while playing 5-10 hands when they finally come back before they take off yet again. So you basically can never get lunch or dinner and keep your seat because you always end up as the 3rd man walking since two local nits are always gone from your table. The rule ends up penalizing the tourists while letting the locals keep their seat forever.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:35 PM

If you're the third person to get up and take a break from the table, you have until the blinds get to you to get back or you lose your seat.

Edit: I think I had it wrong the first time.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:39 PM

At Foxwoods, how long are the First and Second Men Walking allowed?
When they come back, do they have to "work off" their "missing buttons" or can they just play a round and then get up again?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Foxwoods, how long are the First and Second Men Walking allowed?
When they come back, do they have to "work off" their "missing buttons" or can they just play a round and then get up again?

[/ QUOTE ]

After the third dealer change, they pick you up. When you come back, you post your BB and a dead SB. If you want to get up right after that, you can.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 PM

In that case, the Third Man rule is terrible.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:24 PM

In a room full of regulars who understand the rule, third man walking is just fine. The problem lies when a tourist is NOT allowed to get up and take a break because he's the third man. This would be made much worse if the tourist knew that the two already walking were regulars, out eating dinner, doing whatever, etc etc, thus forcing them to either stay in the short handed game, or get picked up for taking even a short break. So the rule has good intentions, keeping a game from going too short, but in practice it is more likely to confuse and piss off the tourists, while the locals will use the rule to be even nittier than they already are.

You don't want to piss off the tourists! Screw turd man walking!

al
Old 08-11-2005, 05:30 PM

In rooms where the rules are such that you can get rid of all your absent buttons by just posting and then leaving again, turd man walking is even worse. I much prefer your having to "work off" absent buttons by being at the table.

al