Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:48 PM

Default I suck at Omaha 8OB

I am completely awful. Is there a post with some links that might help me? I know I can get better at this game, and I know there's money to be made out there. I just have no real grasp for it at this point. I've played some really low limit SNGs of limit, just to get a feel for it and I'm realizing that my starting hand selection is awful. The extreme drawing aspect of the game is weird to me. I know that the nuts get showed down a lot...so I often lose a lot of chips with the second nuts.

I also find it harder to put people on hands, with the exception of holding an A-2. At the lower limit SNGs, there's very little raising preflop so I can see a lot of flops for cheap...but at this point, unless I hold As-2s on a 3s-4s-5s flop, I'm thoroughly confused.

I've played a lot of Stud 8OB, and while this game has obviously similarities, I find the differences to be enough to confuse me. I also have trouble reading hands sometimes...even determining what I have. I need to sharpen that skill right quick, or I'm obviously in for some serious trouble.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: I suck at Omaha 8OB

I think you would find gergery's site
By clicking here
Very helpful.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:06 PM

read capaletti's book and play a lot online. i had a lot of trouble playing o8 at first but i stopped playing limit hold'em and focused more on omaha and got better. be sure and read this forum for hand histories and the good players will always have good responses. i've posted hand histories on here that had me completly confused and after feedback it kind of clicked.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:23 AM

Good section in S/S 2 by Bobby Baldwin on O/8.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am completely awful. Is there a post with some links that might help me? I know I can get better at this game, and I know there's money to be made out there. I just have no real grasp for it at this point. I've played some really low limit SNGs of limit, just to get a feel for it and I'm realizing that my starting hand selection is awful. The extreme drawing aspect of the game is weird to me. I know that the nuts get showed down a lot...so I often lose a lot of chips with the second nuts.

I also find it harder to put people on hands, with the exception of holding an A-2. At the lower limit SNGs, there's very little raising preflop so I can see a lot of flops for cheap...but at this point, unless I hold As-2s on a 3s-4s-5s flop, I'm thoroughly confused.

I've played a lot of Stud 8OB, and while this game has obviously similarities, I find the differences to be enough to confuse me. I also have trouble reading hands sometimes...even determining what I have. I need to sharpen that skill right quick, or I'm obviously in for some serious trouble.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck, too. .05/.1 at Stars is giving me fits. I try to follow the starting hands at O8Poker.com - but I'm definitely struggling and losing money.

Where I'm struggling - playing for half the pot, and it seems like I almost never get a scoop opportunity, and I tend to nut-peddle (and when I don't nut-peddle, I get in even bigger trouble).
Old 07-16-2005, 07:22 PM

I still suck - but two pots got me up 30 BBs - back to even!
Old 07-17-2005, 03:29 PM

Read Ray's book!

SNG's in LO8 don't really give you any kind of indication if you can play or not. O8 is a long, long, long term game, a grind, not any indicator of short term skill (lots o' luck).

You can feel confident and make money just peddling the nuts in these LL games online. There is no need to take chances and put in lots of bets with second best hands. You can feel assured laying down the seconds nuts time and again, because you will almost always be right. No other game in the world is that much of a sure thing.

Get out of the SNG's and into the cash games or large MTT fields (Stars has $1-3 O8 tourneys almost every day).

Put it out of your mind that O8 is anything like Stud 8. It's not, it is so dissimilar you might as well be comparing NLHE to Pan.

Again, get Ray's book, stat.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 07-17-2005, 10:22 PM

I've been looking at gergery's o8 website - and his review of Zee's book ssys that it is for intermediate/advanced players. How much do you need to know about O8 for that book to truly be useful?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:03 PM

I read the book with almost no knowledge of the game and it's been very helpful. The 08 section is split up into General Concepts and Advanced Concepts. The General Concepts, with a little poker knowledge and experience, are fairly easy to understand and implement. It would most likely be a very useful book for you.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good section in S/S 2 by Bobby Baldwin on O/8.

[/ QUOTE ]