Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Playing part time this summer. Am I overlooking anything?

Alright, I'm going to commit to playing poker part-time this summer. Stuck in a college town over the summer doing research, so it's going to be dead and there's going to be plenty of time to kill. Below is what I plan on doing, and I'm hoping you guys can give me feedback on anything I'm overlooking that would maximize profit.

I currently play 4 tables of 2/4. I'll bump that up to 6 tables soon once I get a 2nd monitor, and after a month or so my bankroll should be sufficient for 3/6 (assuming no drastic downswings). My only account so far is at Party, so I plan on signing up for some new accounts and doing the following:

Eurobet will be my primary account (28% rakeback).
FullTilt will be my secondary account when I want to play more than four tables (25% rakeback).
Bodog will be used for the unlimited 20% bonus on occasion, for variety.
I'll have an Empire account primarily for reload bonuses, although this will also carry 26% rakeback.
My Party account will remain open to take advantage of reload bonuses.

I plan on getting in at least 1000 hands a day. So in rakeback each month, I should be making around $800 (4 tables) to $1200 (6 tables) at 2/4, or $1000 (4 tables) to $1500 (6 tables) at 3/6, if my estimates are right. So it seems like rakeback will be better than bonus whoring every site. I want to play in the softer games, so I'm sticking to Party skins, FullTilt, and Bodog.

So, anything I should change? Seems like other sites such as Pokerstars and UltimateBet aren't really worth signing up for if I'm not going to be bonus whoring, but any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Playing part time this summer. Am I overlooking anything?

1000 hands a day should make you about 110 a day.

Not bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-SFWUSC
Old 05-23-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-SFWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]
Not bad at all if it turns out that way. What's sad is that I'll make more in 10 days than I will in a month as a grad student, for 1/3 to 1/4 of the time invested per day. Pretty depressing . . . makes me wish I actually had time to play during the school year.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about total rake? Because Im only making about $25-30 a day on 26% rakeback.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about total rake? Because Im only making about $25-30 a day on 26% rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many hands do you play each day?

He's talking rakeback plus actual winnings. Assuming a 1 BB/100 winrate, 1000 hands should average $60/day at 3/6 on top of rakeback.

Those rakeback estimates I posted above are just estimates. It assumes 1000 hands a day, with 65 hands per hour per table and an average pot size of $25 for 2/4 and $30 for 3/6. If instead of saying 1000 hands a day, I decide to play 4 hours a day, then those numbers become even higher for 6 tables, since I'll be getting in about 1500 hands a day. 65 hands/hour may be overestimating though (PT currently has me at 62 hands/hour).

If those numbers are right, then playing 6 tables of 3/6 and beating it for 1 BB/100 would net me approx. $4800/month playing 4 hours a day (if variance decides to be kind to me).

But you can play with the numbers all you want to get all kinds of results. Only experience will tell.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'm going to commit to playing poker part-time this summer. Stuck in a college town over the summer doing research, so it's going to be dead and there's going to be plenty of time to kill. Below is what I plan on doing, and I'm hoping you guys can give me feedback on anything I'm overlooking that would maximize profit.

I currently play 4 tables of 2/4. I'll bump that up to 6 tables soon once I get a 2nd monitor, and after a month or so my bankroll should be sufficient for 3/6 (assuming no drastic downswings). My only account so far is at Party, so I plan on signing up for some new accounts and doing the following:

Eurobet will be my primary account (28% rakeback).
FullTilt will be my secondary account when I want to play more than four tables (25% rakeback).
Bodog will be used for the unlimited 20% bonus on occasion, for variety.
I'll have an Empire account primarily for reload bonuses, although this will also carry 26% rakeback.
My Party account will remain open to take advantage of reload bonuses.

I plan on getting in at least 1000 hands a day. So in rakeback each month, I should be making around $800 (4 tables) to $1200 (6 tables) at 2/4, or $1000 (4 tables) to $1500 (6 tables) at 3/6, if my estimates are right. So it seems like rakeback will be better than bonus whoring every site. I want to play in the softer games, so I'm sticking to Party skins, FullTilt, and Bodog.

So, anything I should change? Seems like other sites such as Pokerstars and UltimateBet aren't really worth signing up for if I'm not going to be bonus whoring, but any advice would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... i'm in a similar situation, and i play rugby too! though not in socal... where do you play and what position?

as it stands now, i'm gonna be working security on campus, which means that i get to play poker while on the job. so i just plan on playing 2/4 all summer since that's where i feel most comfortable right now.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:46 PM

My thinking is like this:

Say 1000 hands a day. If the average rake for each pot is $1.5 and ten players then your share is 15 cents for each pot.

15 cents x 1000 hands = $150

Then take 26% of $150 = $39 a day

Im playing about 700 hands a day which gives me my $25-30 a day on rakeback figures. Thats why when I saw $110 a day I was like whoa, that cant be right. This is all not considering BB/hr or BB/100.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:59 PM

28% rakeback

give you about $3 per 100 at 2/4... that is over a very good sample...

2BB per 100 win rate would make you $11 per 100 hands.

$110 for 1000 hands. (bonuses would make that figure higher)

2BB with rakeback at 3/6 would be like $18 per 100.

I try to play 1000 hands a night too at 3/6. I figure I make around $180 a night on avg.

-SFWUSC
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 AM

You should play at Absolute with their huge bonuses. 1/2 HE is about $10/hr. Get rakeback, don't sign up on Firefox.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:19 AM

Ok I see where you're coming from now.