Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 05:15 PM

Default new to MTT

Hi, I am playing mostly NL SNGs nowadays with a reasonable ROI and try to get some experience at MTTs. What are the cheap learning experice offered by ps or party?

Seems most of the good players here still play 10+1 rebuys(typical buyin total is 30) and single table SNGs most of the good ones play at least 100 or 200 buyin. I wonder it would be too tough for me to pick some experience.

Any advice? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: new to MTT

I can beat the $5 SnG's on pokerstars and have been using that to finance buy-ins to the $3 and $5 MTTs there. When I started, I was doing well to stay the first hour. I was playing way too LAG (which worked well in the SnG's) without the cards to back it up. Now I only play LAG early in MTTs if I'm just getting *hit* with cards. Not coincidentally, these sessions seem to make up about 75% of my good placements and one in particular is my only final table appearance at a 1500 player tournament.

I feel like this is giving me invaluble experience for moving up later.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Re: new to MTT

Rachel,

Party's MTT's are good in that there are a lot of bad players that play the cheap tourneys. The problem is that the $5 + 1 MTT's attracts between 1500 and 2000 players, so there is a TON of variance.

I have played in about 50 MTT's on party, not a lot by any means but I have found success by a strategy of trying to see as many flops as cheaply as possible early on. Don't get crazy, but hands like 89 offsuit when you have position and the blinds are small compared to the stack sizes can be profitable when the flop is favorable. Building a decent stack early is critical for success. It's 10 times harder to succeed in a MTT when you are sitting w/ only 6 or 7 Big Blinds left in your stack and people are stealing left and right. You don't want to be in a position where you have to double up 2 or 3 times just to survive.

On party, I would play the super-satellites to the bigger events, you can get into them for like $9+1. Usually they have between 100 and 500 people so there is less variance with less players. Plus you don't have to win to advance, you just have to finish in the top x amount of places to qualify to the big tourney.

Good Luck

PG