Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Stalling before a fold

Do you beleive there is a pyschological advantage to stalling before a fold?
Take the blinds for instance - I see people do it all the time, they go into thier timebanks like they are comntemplating a call/raise, and then they muck. Do you think this makes people less likely to try to steal from them again?

Interested to hear some thoughts.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Stalling before a fold

if you raise from the button w/ like 25o and a guy takes a few seconds to fold his BB instead of instafolding, do you think it affects your mindset at all?

I think it probably affects me a little bit, but probably not enough to stop me from stealing. But it's sure a lot more comforting when you raise and they fold right away. makes you feel confident. Maybe even gives you a false confidence. so maybe its' BETTER if they delay.
dfadfa;dlfj
::brain explodes::
Old 11-22-2005, 05:17 AM

I think yes. It's the opposit of the pre-select-button-insta-fold. It shows the raiser that at least the blinds noticed the steal and will make him more cautious if he has a wider stealing range.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think yes. It's the opposit of the pre-select-button-insta-fold. It shows the raiser that at least the blinds noticed the steal and will make him more cautious if he has a wider stealing range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I take this to be one of the few decent tells online because you can know if villain used the checkbox or not. A few examples that I actually pay attention to are when I steal the blinds, when it's folded to someone in LP or SB, and when it checks around to someone in LP after the flop. If I see that villain uses a checkbox here, I assume that they don't frequently get tricky in these spots.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:49 AM

I think this can have a bit of a psychological effect. People who are not used to bluffing/blind stealing will often get that "fight or flight" response without thinking. Their heart will beat fast and their breath will be short as they think "please fold please fold please fold please fold." This condition isn't exactly the most comfortable for someone to be in, and they'll remember it (and hopefully think twice) before attempting to steal your blind again.

Edit: This is just one reason never to use the check/fold box in the BB. The reason I almost never do is because there are so many minraisers out there, and I want to call with a wide range getting (at least) 3:1.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:51 AM

i do.

using those auto check/fold buttons on your BB suck.
after i see ppl do this, im def more likely to raise their blind and that is not something you could possibly want later in a tourney.