Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: What do you think of Dannenmann\'s boredom?

I'm sure he realized he would get outplayed, since he admitted he's the 4th best player in his home game.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:20 PM

Default holy [censored] people

The guy just played 7 days straight of 14 hours a day of poker.

I don't care how much money is on the line, there is no chance someone who played poker recreationally has ever gone on a bender like that and it's easy to see how he was just mentally exhausted and figured "I've got a few million locked up, I just can't stand the thought of sitting around a poker table for another god damn minute, so I'll find a reasonable hand and just get it all in, if it's the best hand then fantastic. Worst case I get to go to sleep"
Old 07-16-2005, 06:22 PM

I don't think he's saying, "Beh, I didn't really care, I was so bored I just wanted to end it."

I think he was saying he was tired as hell, bored, and that's why he made a pretty crappy play. Not an excuse for it, just an explanation.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Yup. One of the nice things about Conjelco's coverage of some of the older series (1995-2000) is that some years included coverage of whether a deal was likely or not.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Excellent linked article ... and dead on point.

"The Hustler" - I remember both the book and the movie well. I still have the book and am now motivated to dig it out and reread some sections.

As I recall...

"Fast Eddy" excuse to lose: "I got drunk."

Dannenmann excuse to lose: "I got tired; I was bored."

Thanks for the link...
Old 07-16-2005, 07:46 PM

I think it would have been appropriate for him to ask to continue play the next day when it got down to heads up.

I mean, these guys are playing HU for $3,000,000. If I were tired or bored or whatever I would have asked for that in a heartbeat. If it's not an option that's life but you should at least make a request.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 PM

Spanier has an excellent chapter on winning and losing which he also completely attributes to Tevis and the Hustler. The book is 'Total Poker', and while it contains little real strategic material, it is worth it for this one chapter.

And yeah... I think Danneman was just very very tired, and knew he was out of his depth. In a way I really feel that he did not want to be the champ. Getting 4+ mil is one thing, but the bracelet almost becomes something to feel guilty about if you know that you aren't really world class. Hence his excuse to lose. Oh well. good for him, either way.

Regards
Brad S
Old 07-16-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would have been appropriate for him to ask to continue play the next day when it got down to heads up.

I mean, these guys are playing HU for $3,000,000. If I were tired or bored or whatever I would have asked for that in a heartbeat. If it's not an option that's life but you should at least make a request.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree.

I almost think the request would have been denied. It doesn't seem like the tournement direction had the players desires in mind at all in how the tournament was conducted. Playing an extra hour one night to get down to 58 because they were "behind schedule", then quitting early the next day because they were "ahead of schedule". Considering the number of players involved, I'm sure it was an enourmous task, but in some ways the players seem to be left out of a lot of these types of decisions.

I can't believe they let play run as long as it did without extending it another day. It ruins the integrity of the final table play, IMO. But, the WSOP ME is nothing about integrity anymore, it's a drawout suckerbet to see who can get lucky enough to wade through an endless sea of donkey players.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:50 PM

Cut the guy some slack.

Isn't he the one that was described as like the 4TH BEST in his HOME GAME? After he made it through the first day his friends said "No way, you suck" or some such.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spanier has an excellent chapter on winning and losing which he also completely attributes to Tevis and the Hustler. The book is 'Total Poker', and while it contains little real strategic material, it is worth it for this one chapter.

And yeah... I think Danneman was just very very tired, and knew he was out of his depth. In a way I really feel that he did not want to be the champ. Getting 4+ mil is one thing, but the bracelet almost becomes something to feel guilty about if you know that you aren't really world class. Hence his excuse to lose. Oh well. good for him, either way.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

This will sound nuts to most of you - but I'd rather finish 2nd and get 4.25 mil than win and get 7.5 mil. I can easily live with 2.5 mil after taxes and not having the pressure of living up to winning the WSOP ME bracelet when I'm not anywhere close to a world-class player. So, if that is how Dannenmann felt, then I completely understand the feeling.