Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: an aspiring stockbroker

[ QUOTE ]
He is only 17, therefore it is basically way to early for you to be asking any of these questions.
There is no reason to major in finance. For trading jobs people who majored in the hard sciences and engineering are highly sought after.
Good schools? Same as they are for anything. If you can get into Harvard, you should go.
Sorry for the quick answers, but I'm off to bed soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

what direction do you think he should go to become a stock trader? im tryin to help him decide what he wants to major in, and i really dont know much about stocktrading. im sort of trying to point him in the general direction for it. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 PM

have you thought maybe its not a good idea that he not get into trading?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is only 17, therefore it is basically way to early for you to be asking any of these questions.
There is no reason to major in finance. For trading jobs people who majored in the hard sciences and engineering are highly sought after.
Good schools? Same as they are for anything. If you can get into Harvard, you should go.
Sorry for the quick answers, but I'm off to bed soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

what direction do you think he should go to become a stock trader? im tryin to help him decide what he wants to major in, and i really dont know much about stocktrading. im sort of trying to point him in the general direction for it. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he really wants to be a trader, the best undergraduate majors are mathematics, hard sciences, computer science and engineering. Trading is about math, not about business.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 PM

it depends. if you want to be really independent he could probably get capital from a day trading type firm. dont know how easy that is these days. its tough though and generally you only get paid if you earn it.
i suppose if you want a trading job at a big firm with a real salary you probably want to get a degree in finance or economics.
At an independent type firm it wont really matter. but studying the market by reading the wsj, forbes, etc. is good for this. econ or math are probably good majors for this type of thinking.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i suppose if you want a trading job at a big firm with a real salary you probably want to get a degree in finance or economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just isn't true. I wish people would stop posting this.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:07 PM

true.....finance or econ classes aint gonna teach you to sell or hold if there is a panic sell off or why TAYD takes off when there is a 9.0 earthquake in tokyo
Old 11-10-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This just isn't true. I wish people would stop posting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

As an undergrad majoring in finance, the job market would really rather I had studied math/physics/comp sci/etc.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:11 PM

how do you know you are so right and everyone else is wrong?
you should stop being so sure of yourself you would probably be better at your job
Old 11-10-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you know you are so right and everyone else is wrong?
you should stop being so sure of yourself you would probably be better at your job

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like my advice, you can ignore it. I'm trying to be helpful.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 AM

I never took the ACT tests for college but I'll assume that's a good score. He should apply to all those colleges on my previous list and add University of Chicago and Notre Dame as well. Any undergrad degree in finance or accounting with a GPA of 3.3 or higher from one of those schools and no doors will be closed to your son once he graduates.