Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: $55 AT hand...

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:18 AM

In MTT's there are longer blind levels and you are generally deeper. In STT you can't afford to play flops with marginal hands in early levels.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 AM

Understood. But you still have A10 which is extremely marginal. At best a call is warrented. I think raising is donkish.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 PM

You can get in a LOT of trouble with hands like this...
Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HEY BIG, why in a MTT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you only need to ask once. I'm not on the board 24 hours a day. Give me a chance to reply.

In an MTT, the payout structure is less flat. Typically the Top 10% get paid, as opposed to the Top 30%. Additionally, the final table is usually where the 'real' money is at. Therefore, you must build a stack in MTT's in order to cash big. In a STT, you can often cash, or finish 2nd, by winning only one big hand. Sometimes you don't even need to do that. That is why STT strategy is much tighter than cash game or MTT play.

In an MTT, you do not want to pass up edges. Maybe some small ones early, but certainly not late. And this is an edge. ATo is almost certainly the best hand when you're facing one limper and it's from the CO. Also, you have position if called.

And I still say that everyone folding this hand is too goddamn tight.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:13 PM

"It's not a leak to play this hand, although in a STT I wouldn't raise it with your chip stack and the blinds 25/50.

However, I do think it's a leak to muck here. It's way too tight. Too many players round here trying to forge a diamond in their colon. "

I agree with this but i think limping assures me of playing a 4 handed pot with no idea where i am either. any keen player at the table can determine my hand strength based on the fact that i limped on the button. i think a raise to 200 is standard with a good chance of picking up 125 chips without seeing a flop. next best would be both blinds folding and being heads up with the original limper in position.