Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 03:40 AM

Default QQ: Is it ever right to get tricky at these limits?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: JEM is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">JEM raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">JEM bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">JEM 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">JEM bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">JEM bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

would it ever be correct to call the flop raise and c/r the turn? or is that just asking for trouble?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: QQ: Is it ever right to get tricky at these limits?

i like the way u played it. unless all ur opponents are multitabling tags, u seem to ahve gotten the most bets out of them that u could. whiffing a C/R seems too likely against the typical fish
Old 02-16-2005, 10:39 AM

the standard 2/4 players are fairly passive, no reason to not bet here, they'll call you down. Besides, you 3-bet the flop, you can't expect a CR to work against all but the most aggressive opponents. It def. would not have worked here. NH.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:41 AM

With 2 players putting bets into the flop, you need to jam with your overpair.

if it was heads up, the check-raise idea is a better option.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:19 PM

well, if i wanted to c/r the turn, i wouldn't have 3 bet the flop. just call the raise and try to collect 2 more BB rather than 2 SB's.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:00 PM

You three bet because:

1) You get information. If he caps he may have set or something (cold call could indicate PP)and you can slow down If wait till turn this could become very expensive if he does hold monster. In this scenerio (trip betting flop), if he raises the turn, you can probably let it go as your pair probably isn't good (the only hand that would raise turn after trip bet on flop might be JJ).

2) He may be betting a draw and take a free card. Or if he is a loose passive he may check a pair of tens or a mid pocket pair like 8s or 9s. Hell he may be bluffing hoping your high cards missed that flop.

3) People like to call. If you are tricky, they become uncomfortable and stop calling. Let fishy call down with worse hand. Turn checkraise will scare him shitless.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:04 PM

i think i woulda done the same thing... cuz if i went for the C/R on the turn.. and whiffed... and an A or a K came on the river i would [censored] myself