Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 10:13 PM

Default A9s plan goes wrong

I'd been running very cold (I'd played just 4 in the last 100 hands at this table) so I figured I'd try and push my tight image. CO was a loosish player, BB was solid. I think I badly misplayed this hand but I thought I'd get others opinions before I went through my thought processes (which were admittedly not very good ones!).

30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 07-06-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: A9s plan goes wrong

It looks like BB thinks he's ahead and didn't want to give a free card on the turn. He's gotta put you on an ace so his kicker is probably good. I don't see the logic to your turn raise. BB likely checks the river unless he improves and you can take a free SD unless you improve.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:26 PM

i think you played it really well, but surely lost to AQ. i dunno, who folds to the turn lead? in the party 30 game, ive never done such a thing, but i think it may be expert.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:21 AM

Why in the world would you try a check-raise on the flop? This is just asking for trouble. You got a good flop, go with it. They'll pay you off handsomely if you're still ahead. And it's not like you flopped a monster either. You have top pair with a decent kicker on a board where getting it checked through might be a real disaster for you. The way I see it, this is a prime example of getting fancy/greedy.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:06 PM

Well here was my thinking - I figured my Ace was in good shape, or I would have been three-bet pre-flop by an Ace with a bigger kicker. There was very little chance of it being checked through, as that just wasn't happening very much in this game. So I thought the CO would bet with virtually any two cards, BB would fold, and I could raise the CO and take control of the hand, rather than bet and have them both call. It might not have been the best plan, but I don't think it was terrible either.

Unfortunately I then made a serious mistake by not re-evaluating it when the BB check-raised. I decided he was pumping a flush draw (which doesn't make much sense, but at least it allowed me to continue with my original plan!). When he bet into me on the turn it was clearly not a flush draw. I should have folded then.

I'm finding I make a lot of decisions a little too quickly, and I'm trying to make myself think about things more while at the table. This was a good example of when I should have spent more time re-evaluating. Thanks for the advice guys.