Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Need a little early level advice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're following Aleo's guide strictly, you are playing far too tight early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will find a few VERY good players who will say just the opposite.

This is not to say that they are right, just that the most profitable deviations you can make from that guide are not deviations regarding how you play the early levels at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 02:06 PM

I am just posting to re-emphasize Aleo's post. I too learned from the Aleo guide. It has provided me with the basis for my development in SNGs and poker.

Back to OP.

[ QUOTE ]
One problem I often encounter with this strategy is that by level 4 I am (rather unsuprisingly) shortstacked usually with 500-700 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement sticks out the most. My advice is that you need to get used to this situation, so much so that when you get here, you feel comfortable, and not tense. Relax, this is very normal. Furthermore, beating SNGs is about becoming a master at small stack play, and not about "how to build a big stack early so I can survive the allin frenzy later." Small stack strategy in general is a pretty simple strategy because it's a two decision concept, and it is either based on preflop hand strength, position, or both.

My advice regarding the Aleo-guide is to be sure you've printed the guide out and read it multiple times. Furthermore, you need to be sure and comprehend the Phil Van Sexton comments as well. Once you understand this strategy, and can weild it to your advantage, then begin to break away from it.

Scuba
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM

If your alert, there are opportunities to pick off some limpers at level 3. Following the guide early may not be "optimal," but it's not that far off, especially if your multi-tabling at the lower limits.