Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Need a little early level advice

I'm not a prolific SnG player and have mostly played the $11s on Party one at a time just striving to learn the game and hopefully become a winning player.

Tight early, loosen up later has been a workable strategy for me and I've found Aleo's guide very helpful. I have done ok over the 900+ games I've played since I started, enough to be ahead overall but with some pretty vicious downswings along the way.

One problem I often encounter with this strategy is that by level 4 I am (rather unsuprisingly) shortstacked usually with 500-700 chips. Although a steal or two can keep me alive for a little while I am to all intents and purposes in all-in or fold mode looking for that first double through which will give me a shot at an ITM finish.

Tight early on is fine but I have the distinct impression that I may be playing too tight. It is not uncommon for me to pass the first 3 levels without playing a hand (except from the blinds). As a result I feel that I am losing out on opportunities to accumulate chips in those first 3 levels.

I feel I need to get more involved early on but my mouse seems to have developed an strange affinity for the fold button.

I would really welcome advice on level 1-3 play so that when level 4 hits I have more options open to me other than double up or bust.