Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Party 3/6 changing?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I'm thinking of making the jump to 3/6 6 max, but losing 600 in a session will be the norm.

There's no way I'd lose that much in a 3-6 game whether it be 6-max, full or otherwise.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 PM

Like the other posters, I think the short-handed 6 player games are where the money is to be secured; at least at 2/4 or 3/6 limits. I started playing online in 2000 and in retrospect I remember the full-table games at Paradise being substantially looser (I was still a loser at that time in my poker career). Also, I remember the full-table games at Pokerstars (.25/.5 through 3/6) averaging at least 1 big bet greater per game at many limits. On the very low levels (.25/.50) it was common to see the list filled with $4 dollar average pots and now they are a rarity.

I rarely play a full table (except NL) and instead focus exclusively on 6 handed games at Party and Pokerstars. They require a different set of skills and the section in HFAP (on short handed play) is very applicable. A cursory examination is not enough, however, IMHO. Creativity, aggression, profiling (and not a dry statistical analysis), and deception are all very important to a winning player. Also, the cards you play and in what position are radically altered from the 9 and 10 player games. I can't pretend to be an expert; just a winning low limit short-handed player (and I do not use any external aids like Pokertracker, PA HUD, Pokerstat, Poker Prophecy). I do use the built-in notes feature and take relatively detailed notes on the most salient traits of many opponents (and find this helpful).

I think the action-oriented players have left the full-table games and that's a huge factor in the destruction of the loose 9-10 handed game. Not much time expires between each hand and you don't have to wait all day for a playable hand, which explains why the 'crack addict' compulsive types make these games so lucrative.

Good luck,

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."
Old 12-14-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I'm thinking of making the jump to 3/6 6 max, but losing 600 in a session will be the norm.

There's no way I'd lose that much in a 3-6 game whether it be 6-max, full or otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's only 100BB. If you play alot and NEVER go on a 100BB downswing, you should probably be playing 5/10 or 10/20
Old 12-14-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it feels as if Party's 3/6 game has become a lot more aggro.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm seeing quite a bit more...slow playing of hands

[/ QUOTE ]

amusing
Old 12-14-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was talking full. Should I delve into the world of short?

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently the 6 max games are making the full games dry up. 6 max is not for everyone. Higher variance, more skill, but can be extremely profitable. I'm thinking of making the jump to 3/6 6 max, but losing 600 in a session will be the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, it happens but if it's happening a lot you need to look at your game. I wouldn't start at 3/6 6m either. Do at least 5-10K at 1/2 6m to get you're feet wet and compare your stats to other players to make sure you don't have any oceans leaking out of your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are competent at 2-4 and 3-6 full there is no reason you cant go straight to 3-6 short. hell, back in the day we had to go straight to 5-10 short *gasp* from what i read on here the 3-6 full game is tougher than it was back then and the 3-6 short game is easier than 5-10 so you should be more than ready.