Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Is there a God? If there is, does Sklansky believe in Him?

I have been hanging out on this site for about a month or so. I can see there are many atheists, agnostics, etc., but have not really seen many (if any) threads with hard evidence explaining specifically why they do not believe in a God. Instead, it is most often general attacks (or disagreements) regarding particular religions (primarily Christianity), theistic beliefs, etc.

Perhaps some of you can offer up the best evidence you have to support your 'no-God' positions. I understand you cannot prove a negative, or whatever; I just want to know what your best reasons for unbelief are.

As for the second question in my title, after Sklansky made several contributions to the atheistic morality thread, he made this comment- "What makes you think I'm an atheist?"!!
Mr. S, if you are not an atheist, could you please enlighten us as to exactly how you would characterize yourself? thankyou.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Is there a God? If there is, does Sklansky believe in Him?

Similar to Hawking and a lot of other physicists, I imagine.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 PM

Can you please elaborate on what they believe. I've read a little of his "Brief History of Time", but am not sure exactly what category he would fit into. I know he was trying to come up with a unified field theory. Is he (and you) one of those who would refer to 'God', but with a radically different meaning (perhaps referring to the workings of the universe itself, or in a deistic way)?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps some of you can offer up the best evidence you have to support your 'no-God' positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with your question is the scope is too large. Without specifics the concept of God is just meaningless to me. So…

[ QUOTE ]
I can see there are many atheists, agnostics, etc., but have not really seen many (if any) threads with hard evidence explaining specifically why they do not believe in a God. Instead, it is most often general attacks (or disagreements) regarding particular religions (primarily Christianity), theistic beliefs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is only possible to discuss my position on particular religions.

I cannot say that I disbelieve in God, I can only say that for every God based religion I have taken the trouble to examine its concept of God is obviously (at least to me) a product of human imagination.

More to the point, my need to believe in a God like figure is not sufficient to overcome my reliance on rationalisation.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:22 AM

What an odd answer to the question, considering the fact that you are not a physicist.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:38 AM

“I cannot say that I disbelieve in God, I can only say that for every God based religion I have taken the trouble to examine its concept of God is obviously (at least to me) a product of human imagination.”

Um, doesn’t this make you a believer in Sklanskyism? You are a Sklanskyian - come out of the closet.

Except of course the “…I have taken the trouble to examine…” part - just kidding, David.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, doesn’t this make you a believer in Sklanskyism? You are a Sklanskyian - come out of the closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 AM

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Shooby
Old 09-08-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps some of you can offer up the best evidence you have to support your 'no-God' positions. I understand you cannot prove a negative, or whatever; I just want to know what your best reasons for unbelief are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have reasons not to believe things so there are no reasons for unbelief (as you put it).

Unbelief is the default position. I need reasons to believe in god and I have never come across one.

chez
Old 09-08-2005, 05:20 AM

"What an odd answer to the question, considering the fact that you are not a physicist."

?????. If I asked you who you thought were the ten best baseball players of all time, and you replied that your thoughts were pretty much in agreement with the pulitzer prize winning sportwriters of the last twenty years (who you read semi-diligently) would that be an odd answer, considering the fact that you are not a sportwriter?