Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Stud and Omaha Hi/Lo Tournys

I don't see anything listed here about these tournaments, and the "Other Poker" forum is great but there's not a lot of tournament talk in there.

I'd like to hear what the experience of 2+2ers who play the non-NLHE games about whether they are as fun/profitable as I'm hoping.

There's a 20+2 PLO/8 tonight and a 50+5 tomorrow night (both on stars) so I'll play those and report my results. As soon as I see a Stud/8 that I can play primetime I'll give that a shot as well.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Stud and Omaha Hi/Lo Tournys

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything listed here about these tournaments, and the "Other Poker" forum is great but there's not a lot of tournament talk in there.

I'd like to hear what the experience of 2+2ers who play the non-NLHE games about whether they are as fun/profitable as I'm hoping.

There's a 20+2 PLO/8 tonight and a 50+5 tomorrow night (both on stars) so I'll play those and report my results. As soon as I see a Stud/8 that I can play primetime I'll give that a shot as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my experience is with 7CS/Razz tournaments. I think they are great. For 7CS tournaments you are going to want to play your normal game with a few adjustments.

1. Be much more selective about come hands. You just can't afford to waste chips chasing for straights and flushes.

2. Rarely play short pairs in multiway situations.

3. Tend to avoid raised multiway pots on the later rounds.

If you are interested in stud tournaments, I recomend snagging a copy of Championship Stud.

Bygmesterf
Old 10-22-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Stud and Omaha Hi/Lo Tournys

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On Pokerstars, I play all the low and mid buy in Omaha Hi Lo tournaments, and cash like a VERY high % of them. (I dont play the high buy in tournaments, like 215, because the players are too good [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) I find that players have alot less overall knowledge of Omaha hi lo, and although I am not exactly a "pro" or "expert" in omaha split, I can hold my own. Although I enjoy NLH more, I feel my edge vs the random field in the small (1,2,3) to mid (10, 20, +) omaha8 tournaments is much higher than NLH.

I also enjoy limit omaha hi lo more then PLO8, but I mix it up in both. The 20PLO8 is great, whereas I dont feel as comfortable in the 50; players "know" what they're doing in the 50, whereas you encounter many more gamblers, newbies, and morons in the 20.

As for Stud8, I like the Stars tournaments there, too, but they're less profitable then Omaha hilo. For somereason people prefer Omaha hi lo, and thus the field size and fishiness of Stud8 tournaments is lower then what I would want. Less gambling in Stud8 I guess.

That said, I would love for you to post some hands or whathaveyou, because this MTT thread is moreso a NLH MTT forum with the occaisonal PLH or Limit Holdem Q thrown in there.