Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 12:34 AM

Default KK 50nl

Prima 50nl .25/.50 10 handed

I'm on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and $70

Folded to MP($20) who opens for $2
No real reads on MP but these tables tend to be very passive with a preflop raise usually meaning AK or a high pair.

Folded to me and I raise to $6

SB(150) then reraises to 10
SB is extremely loose/passive. Since i've been at the table he's been in every unraised pot and has called off $50 of his stack with various draws and 2nd pair hands. I havn't seen him raise preflop yet so im slightly worried about AA but certainly wouldn't consider this his only possible holding.

MP calls the $8 which probably rules out AA for him but seeing as he only has another $10 behind im now more concerned with the SB

I decide to just call the $4 and see what happens on the flop.

Flop ($30.50)
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks and MP pushes his last $10 in.

I push for $60 and SB insta calls.

I really didn't put any thought into this flop decision and thats were id like some help.

Also feel free to critisize the preflop play if you would of done anthing differently.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 01-03-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: KK 50nl

ok, think about this from the small blind's perspective... guy just opens for 4x BB, another guy raises to 12x BB what hands would you reraise to 20x BB? - remembering that you're gonna be out of position the rest of the hand... AA and KK come to mind, and possibly AKs and QQ (but less likely), KK being really unlikely as you rule out 2 of the kings. so there's 1 possible combination of KK and 6 possible combinations of AA... i don't like the flop push. i think i'd still raise, but you gotta be thinking AA for the small blind. i could be wrong, so if anyone would like to enlighten me - feel free.

peace - jeff
Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 AM

you're fine, although calling the flop bet is also an option as you allow lower pocket pairs to keep playing against you. It's really easy to talk about folding KK here but let's be honest, if you run into aces here there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:23 AM

Short of an ultra-confident super-duper read of my opponent, I am reraising my opponent and wouldn't lose to much sleep over it if I lose to AA because you're more often ahead than not against typical opponents. My opponent would not just have to be "passive" for me to consider calling to see the flop, but he/she would have to be "mouse-like, ultra passive player", and I don't think it's possible to peg an opponent having that characteristic over a typical poker session in the Internet.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 AM

I like your line. Seeing the flop before pushing makes sense - if an ace falls I slow way down or chuck my hand. I think your flop push makes sense as well. You are up against QQ/JJ, even TT just as often here as AA, and theres dead money feeding the pot from the short stack to take into account as well.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the replies,

Mr pink, although I said the SB was very passive i find it hard to believe he would check this flop with AA, but he probably would with JJ, QQ and definetly with AK.

mwalsh, this was my thinking after the hand, that if i push i might scare away the SB with JJ, QQ and definetely AK. This made me think that maybe a call was the correct option and then depending on the turn card a pot committing bet followed my a push on the river.

Tilt, ye this was pretty close to my thinking at the time, but after some thought im now leaning towards a call for reasons ill outline below.

Bluebear, at these tables, with these stacks, it is very unlikely i get called by JJ, QQ, or AK if i push preflop so i wanted to keep these hands in by calling. If u disagree please dont hesitate to say...

Basically, im not sure whether i should just be calling on the flop to entice the SB to come in possibly drawing very thin, or the pot is big enough that i should be taking it down now and if the SB calls with a lesser hand then thats a bonus.

I think the main problem i have with this hand is that at the time i didnt put much thought into the situation. I just went ive got KK so im gonna go all in and hope to get called by JJ, QQ.

Thoughts....
Old 01-03-2005, 09:40 PM

anyone...
Old 01-03-2005, 10:10 PM

I think the better shot of getting it all in with JJ and QQ was preflop, when he could have interpreted you as trying to raise without the values to get heads up with short stack.