Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 04:57 PM

Default final table hands vs. LAG

Hey guys,
I was fortunate enough to make it deep last night in the Stars $162 tournament.

Two decisions I thought were questionable that I made in the final three. The villan in both these is the same, he is very agressive and has been in control of this table raising or re-raising 1 out of 4 hands when it was full and even more when we got shorthanded. He has been showing good but not great hands down.

Hand #1
Blinds are 4000/8000, Hero has 125k, while agressive villan has 300k in the SB. BB has been fairly passive and has 240k in chips.
I get dealt JdQd and raise to 40k, villan re-raises, BB folds.

Your move.....

Hand #2 Later on in the tournament same people
Hero has 250k, Agressive villan has 175k, passive has 250k as well. Blinds are at 8000/12000
I get dealt KsQs in the SB and open-raise to 36k, LAG villan(BB) goes over the top.

Your move....
Old 12-27-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: final table hands vs. LAG

hand 1 is ugly, why did you raise to 40k (5xBB) at 3 players, which happens to be 1/3 of your stack, if youre planning to fold?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are 4000/8000

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get dealt JdQd and raise to 40k,

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with the 5x BB open 3 handed? you're getting 2:1 here, i think you made it so you have to call.

--
hand 2, 3 handed laggy short stack, KQs is good enough for me here.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:05 PM

Those are two tough hands two make decisions. I'd really like to hear what others have to say about this but, I'll give my two cents.

I think for Hand#2 you should just reraise him all-in and hope he has something like KJ or QJ and you get a call from him. If he has a small pair he may fold and if he has a medium pair you are going to be even money. If He has A big pair or AK you are screwed but from what you have been saying he has been aggressive and its unlikely he has holding something that strong.

Hand 1 is more difficult because you are OOP and he has you out chipped. I don't like calling in this spot but it might be an option depending upon the size of the reraise. Going Allin here is an option and you might take it down but if you are wrong you are out in 3rd place. My decision really varies between calling and folding. If you call you might be able to push all-in on the flop if its rags. Tough decision, i would really have to feel it out.

Any other thoughts?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM

I assume Villain raised enough to commit himself to the pot in both cases? You say he'd been open raising a lot, but how often did he re-raise? If he was often raising vs. limpers and coming over the top of raisers, then every time you are going to play a hand, you need to decide whether you are willing to go all the way against him with it, and if so, you need to structure the betting so that you are the one putting in the last (pot-committing) raise. So if you expect that he will raise if you limp in the SB and re-raise if you raise, you should do whatever will allow you to be the one to put all of his chips in the middle first. This may mean limp-re-raising. With a hand like KQs, it isn't the end of the world if Villain checks, as it plays well post-flop. Pretty much the same thoughts on QJs, although, you might also choose to limp, call a raise, and push or check-push any flop that gives you a draw or a pair.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:09 PM

I'm pretty sure villain pushed in both of these hands, and if he didnt, he had to make himself ridicuously commited, so pretend he's all in already.

So, being out of position is thrown out, and so is fold equity.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:11 PM

hand 1: open for less. a third of your stack with QJ? open for 24k, standard 3xBB.

hand 2: dont know. KQ is a hand i play fairly carefully, bc people tend to overplay Ax when shorthanded. can an argument be made for limping. otherwise id analyze it like this: if you win this hand, you prob. win the tourney. if you lose, you finish in 3rd. if you fold, what are your chances then? when you open pots at any stage of the tourney, you have to have a plan when you get reraised, bc its gonna happen. i would fold this, and try to take adv. of the passive player. If hell bluff into KQ, hell bluff into AK, or JJ, or something better. Im fervently trying to set a trap in this situation.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:28 PM

I assume both re-raises are all-in. not that it really matters.

Hand 1: I think 40K is too big a raise here if you're planning on folding to a re-raise. My standard raise here is about 20-24K. If you raise that much and get re-raised then i'd probably fold. I think a raise to 40K is tying yourself to the pot, though and would call a push.

Hand 2: Insta-call.