Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-21-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Taking a free to prevnet yourself from getting commited.

Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 5: MP ( $280 )
Seat 9: HERO ( $220 )
SB posts small blind [$1].
BB posts big blind [$2].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Many folds.
MP raises [$7].
HERO calls [$7].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
MP checks.
HERO ---

How about not betting and take free card. Why this "weak" aproach you probably think, well here is my reasoning:

1) You bet and he folds - you win a small pot, positive metagame value

2) You bet and he calls - i have no clue, probably top set and wrapper.

3) You bet and he raises - will you not now find yourself commited in the pot and will have to continue to call if the turn doesnt pair? And you most likely are dog, problem is how big of one.

4) You check and have position on the turn meaning u can raise, check or fold depending on the card and hence get a higher EV and lower variance?

Thoughts?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Taking a free to prevnet yourself from getting commited.

unless his PFR% is high, he most likely has an overpair
if you check and another broadway comes, a strong raise from you will probably make him fold a set.
i say put some money in the pot, so its big enough he won't walk away if you hit a big card(like Qs) on the turn. maybe halfpot if its not out of character, what would you do with JT or a set in this spot?
also if the pot is bigger you might be able to get all in on the turn with a freeroll if he hits a broadway straight too, especially if he puts you on a set
Old 12-21-2005, 05:36 AM

Don't play so weak tight when headsup and you have position. FWIW, headsup and with position I bet a total miss here and follow up on the turn. The only spot I would take a free card would be against a player known to be an habitual checkraiser. Two touching broadway cards are not a good flop for a lot of AA hands, and you will frequently take it down on the flop with your bet. And if you do get checkraised, you still have enough outs to consider calling. Plus since you did not mention a read on this player to the contrary, he could often have something like AT98ds, in which case you don't need to be giving him a free card to a lower straight.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:46 PM

I'd pot it if Villain is LAG, otherwise bet half pot or a bit more.