Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Live NL Flop decision

Here is a problem I see with just calling.

What happens when the turn comes KQJT? You're now splitting the pot with A8-A2

What happens when the turn comes 8-2? You now may be up against a boat with no way of really knowing it.

I think you must reraise. If not all in, enough so that if he calls the reraise its going in on the turn no matter what hits.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:14 AM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for the replies, although they were a pretty mixed bag from push to call to fold. I was convinced the button would raise with a flush draw or any ace. There is no way he limp-calls with AK or QQ when he has two chances to pop it preflop. AQ he doen't raise my flop bet, he cold calls and lets me hang myself. I figured if I pushed he would fold AT, so the only hand I was worried about was AJ.

I pushed and he went into the tank for about 5 minutes and turned over an Ace and mucked. He mumbled that his kicker wasn't that good, that I could have AQ or AK and he didn't want to call off his whole stack.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Live NL Flop decision

play more live.

Well I would, but I live in Richmond and I already play no less than one live session a week. I also take two to four trips a year up to AC for weekends where I get in 40+ hours of live play. This is all split between limit and NL games.

Like I said though, you're only getting called if you're beat. I think you're assuming he's going to call with worse hands just because the original poster described him as LAG. It's one thing to just be some normal LAG. It's another to be a LAG in trying to pick up pots no one else wants but being conservative with your raises.

I'm very LAG in that fashion, it mirrors my play. And if you think I'm gonna call an all in reraise with A8, you just don't know me very well.

It's a totally different thing if you think you can push a better hand off the pot. I do like the logic of figuring your opponent can't have AK there. I also think AQ is unlikely since most would slowplay such a draw-heavy board with a field of players, but you can never discount a LAG from doing anything since they count on their image for extra action.

The problem is that he can make the same assumptions about you if he's holding AJ or AT. You wouldn't have AK, and you're likely going to slowplay AQ - ESPECIALLY if you will be thinking he can put in a raise with a draw. The only better hand a thinking opponent will fold is AT, and even that is a very tough laydown that most people can't make in the heat of the moment.

- C -