Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 04:20 PM

Default A-A flop decision

Live $1/2 NL

Table has more money than I've ever seen at a capped $100 table, more than one player approaching 1000 BB. Hero is in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Several limpers to me, I make it $15. All fold to the button (~$200), who calls. Villain had been playing pretty tight and you could tell he needed the money. Nothing out of line yet. I have villain well covered. Pot is about ~$40 heading to the flop.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets $30, villain raises to $60. Hero...?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: A-A flop decision

Push, or you could try calling and check raising the turn all in. He didn't call that raise with 66 or a 4...he's probably got 99-QQ.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Failed to mention it, but $15 was a standard raise. Some of the tightish folk raised to $10 and a few of the maniacs raised to $30 (sometimes blind). $15 was my raise all night...regardless of hand strength. I'd been playing somewhat loose, seeing a lot of flops and raising when there were a ton of limpers who had obvious garbage. I'm probably viewed as SLAG.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:02 PM

call and check raise all-in on the turn. I dont think i could justify a fold on that flop.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:35 PM

yeah but you said button was tight...he's not calling here I think with a 66 or a 4 in his hand. I think he has a bigger pair. Folding is out of the question in my opinion here. Although i'd do my best to spike an ace on the turn.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:00 PM

I would push here. If he had KK he would have reraised preflop, so you are going to lose TT, JJ and QQ if an Ace or a King comes on the turn. He only has $125 left, right? He'll be getting 2-1 on his call.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:08 PM

I'm check/raising all-in on the turn. He is raising to find out if you have an overpair or overcards, so you can't raise and tell him what you have. If you smooth call he will think you have missed overs, allowing you to get all-in on any non A/K/Q turn card.

If he checks through on the turn, bet 1/2 to 3/4 the pot on the river.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although i'd do my best to spike an ace on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was my plan, fortunately it worked. I called, rainbow Ace fell on the turn. I checked, he bet enough to pot commit him and I immediately put him all in, trying my best to represent A-K because I thought he had that beat. He tabled 6-6 and life was good.

In hindsight I was somewhat dissatisfied with my flop call. I know it sounds absurd to dump A-A on that flop, but he was the type of player that I didn't feel would minraise without a monster. I knew I had implied odds if the A fell, but his stack wasn't deep enough to warrant a call if I had known his cards. I knew he didn't have a high pair, he would have raised preflop. So my guess was that he was playing something for set value. Once the Ace hit, I just prayed it wasn't 4-4.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:54 AM

Even still I dont think you can give up AA in these situations. Even the tightest player can decide to make a move sometimes. I agree with flat calling the flop raise too.