Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 08-23-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Is this collusion?

[ QUOTE ]
Cast:
Hero, Friend, Boss, Boss'Friend, Boss'Bro

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor decision on your part to participate in something like that.

[ QUOTE ]
Boss walks into work the next morning and opens with "Did you enjoy taking our money last night?" Hero laughs. Boss states that "It was just like in Rounders. We were talking about it after you left." Hero thinks WTF? and asks Boss if he really believes that Hero and Friend cheated/colluded in a $10 home game. Boss shrugs and gives a look along the lines of "I don't know; you tell me."

[/ QUOTE ]

Your boss obviously has it in his head that you are capable of scamming him for a measly $20 or so. I'd consider finding another job or boss. That cannot bode well for future promotion and/or raise considerations if he thinks you are capable of scamming him for such a petty amount of cash.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:04 PM

I don't know how to say this without offending, so I'll just say it. I think your statement that could absolutely tell when your subordinates were lying to you is typical of many managers' arrogance. I have seen good managers and bad, but I've seen every one of them (and include myself in this, I did it for a while-- not anymore) completely duped by unscrupulous underlings.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 PM

I'd invite your boss very casually next time you have a game. Don't invite the BossBro and BossFriend as I'm sure he'll just bring em again if he wants.

If he comes to your game fine. If he doesn't come or blows you off, never mention poker to him again. (If some time goes by and he brings it up: "Hey, y'all still playing poker" feel free to invite him again but don't ever bring it up yourself.)

Do not ever go back to his game.

--Zetack
Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 PM

You are in a tough spot. Any explaining you do will sound defensive, and now you have you boss questioning your integrity.

You have two options, IMO:

1. Give the boss a poker lesson, and explain basic TAG concepts so that he gets better and will understand how you are playing. OR:

2. Play in your bosses game again and dump money to him so that he thinks you just had a run of good luck the last time you played.

I would base my choice between these options on how big Boss' ego is. If he has a huge ego, then go to option #2. If he is normal/reasonable, I'd go for option #1. If you don't like either of these two options, then get your resume together.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:39 PM

Keep playing with Friend and keep laying with Boss, just don't play with Friend and Boss in the same game anymore.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buy him a copy of SSH. That should explain pretty clearly to him why he's a losing player. Never play with him again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a Mason Malmuth gimmick account, aren't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... Though after his boss reads SSH, the OP should purchase HPFAP, HOH1, and HOH2(as well as other fine two plus two products!!!), to make sure he can still beat his boss. That is, if he insists on playing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 PM

No offense intended, but I think you would be better off sleeping with your boss's wife rather than playing poker with him.

There is just nothing good that can come of it as your tale already implies.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 PM

this happend to me...when the big poker boom started and everyone and there mom were playing i had some friends invite me to there house(bout 40 mins north san fran) to play...i said sure so my cousin and i shot up there...were not the best players but have experience and we just ran thru them..playing 4 20doller games we swept all four, the next day i get a call from one of the guys and said everyone one was saying we had to have been cheating and working together..i laughed and told them to learn how to play before accusing.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:21 AM

First of all - no offense taken. But you should go back and re-read my post. I said I know most of my employees well enough that I would be able to tell if they were lying. And I have no doubts that the reverse is true as well. Obviously this is not absolute. On top of that, in our business, integrity is such a high priority that a breach of trust on any level would have the capability to have a very significant impact on the business. My point was that in our situation, if one of us thought another was cheating (very very unlikely), any of us would have no problem just coming out and confronting it. And I am confident that the truth would be told. It is a shame that OP's business environment is different in this area.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:13 PM

What type of business is this?