Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: folded $6000 pot for $400 on river.

When almost all the money is in the pot, people will throw the rest after it even when they know they've lost. You see it all the time in limit, some guy with A2 raises preflop, misses the flop, then caps it anyway.

The guy probably figured he might as well lose the $400 and go home and at least say "I lost with a flopped set, can you believe it?"
Old 11-10-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this was real money. happend a couple years ago.

don't you guys care about the logic here? how the hell can a guy call a massive reraise with the second nut and no draws in 5 card omaha? then go all in for $400 into a $6000 pot at the end when the flush hits. and i had no clubs in my hand.

i value logic highly in my game. it seemed asinine to put in $400 more. (of course i would have won) but the play seemed soooo stupid for me at the time.

what an illogical call and bet for the other guy!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I fully believe I'm beaten here. However, I make the crying call like everyone else says because there's at least a 10% chance he's bluffing (always at least 10% chance, according to Harrington, right?)

$400 means very little to someone playing at these stakes (and is properly bankrolled). Make the call. Curse when you lose. Scratch your head when you win.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

don't you guys care about the logic here? how the hell can a guy call a massive reraise with the second nut and no draws in 5 card omaha? then go all in for $400 into a $6000 pot at the end when the flush hits. and i had no clubs in my hand.

i value logic highly in my game. it seemed asinine to put in $400 more. (of course i would have won) but the play seemed soooo stupid for me at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going solely by logic then you shouldn't be playing cash games at that limit. How does logic win when someone bluffs? How does logic force you to lay down 16:1 odds on such a large pot? It's not like the guys gonna be able to re-raise you anymore - he just put his last $400 in. You absolutely cannot lay down your hand for those odds. If you lose you grin and bear it.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can a guy cap preflop with 53o?
How can a guy call 3 bets cold with only a runner-runner draw to the [censored] end of the straight?
How can 2 guys go 8 bets on the river, the board is 76644, and they each have a 4?
How can a guy fold top set in PL Omaha, getting 16:1 on the opponent's all-in bet, when a scare card comes on the river?

Dumb things like this happen all the time, it's part of what makes poker profitable.

[edit] The word "i-d-i-o-t" is censored?????????
Old 11-10-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could equally argue it was genius - He put the money on the 100:1 chance he's playing someone that will fold here,

As to his illogical call and raise, if he thought you'd lay down the hand for a measly $400 if the flush completes then it was genius TBH.

This is an absolute autocall, for you both, the play in the hand finished on the turn, did you think he would ever check fold to your $400 bet????
Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here's a damn sad story. (and if you disagree with my play, fine, but i firmly believe it was the correct play.)

i'm playing 5 card high only $2 - $5 PL omaha

3 of us see the flop. after a raise.
on the flop there is a club draw. i bet 2/3 the pot from first position, call, call.
on the turn I hit a set of queens which is the stone cold nuts so far. i have no clubs. i check. guy bets the pot, next guy calls. i reraise the maximum. guy #2 gose all in for his little remaining money.

now remember i just came over the top, About $2600 of my money is in there.

now the last guy thinks for a while, then calls. he has $400 left. there's now $6000 in the pot.

now, since i have the nuts with a set of queens, he must have a flush draw to go with any sets, or it would be insane to call all in on just a midle set at best. I also figured he'd have gone all in for the last $400 if he didnt have a draw.

so on the river the club hits, and he goes all in for his last $400. and now i also figured, well, he knows i'm gonna call his $400. so he would never bluff here. (And i have no clubs at all in my hand) and why else would he call without the club draw?

so i folded and he had just middle set.

my story of losing $6000 for $400.

Your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute...

You said you were in first position ("i bet 2/3 pot from first position").

But on the river, you said your opponent went all-in, and you had to decide to call or fold. That means you checked first. That's fine, as long as your plan was to check and call (Ever heard of inducing a bluff?) It sounds like you didn't even have a plan.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute...

You said you were in first position ("i bet 2/3 pot from first position").

But on the river, you said your opponent went all-in, and you had to decide to call or fold. That means you checked first. That's fine, as long as your plan was to check and call (Ever heard of inducing a bluff?) It sounds like you didn't even have a plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain could have been one of the blinds.

*edit* Now I see what you're saying. He led out on the flop. Seems that it's not explained very clearly.

Bad, bad, bad fold, btw.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:48 AM

there is a great enough chance that the guy is having a prolonged seizure that results in him clicking the bet button every once in a while that you should call here.

maybe a glitch in the software fails to realize he has a flush. This also is grounds for a call.

the only way you fold here is if your two cards are blank. And even then, he could be playing the board...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:00 AM

damn, that sucks, you thought it out well too, he must have just been a fish.

i made a similar laydown for a 6 million dollar pot on my space station's home game the other night against a player from mars. held four aces but when the royal flush completed on the river i folded for the last $300k. was terrible, he didnt even have any cards.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
damn, that sucks, you thought it out well too, he must have just been a fish.

i made a similar laydown for a 6 million dollar pot on my space station's home game the other night against a player from mars. held four aces but when the royal flush completed on the river i folded for the last $300k. was terrible, he didnt even have any cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice lay down....