Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 04:56 AM

Default anyone wanna see deep stackd larger buyin tourneys at stars?

I sent an email to them today asking why they don't have them and if they are planning on it. they wrote back sayin that its possible, and then i sent another one almost pleading for them to at least try it. i assured them that there were many serious poker players out here who would love to play in them, and probably even more smaller stakes playesr who would definately fill up tons of supersat's with the chance to get into them.

PLEASE... anyone who wants to help speed the process up and wants to increase the chances that this actually happens, email support@pokerstars.com and let them know you're interested.

you can refrenece me, pete kremenliev, pokerstars ID pfkaok.

i just feel like if they were to get swamped with email on this thing at the same time it couldn't possibly hurt the chances of them spreading these things. so even if you don't play there much it would be MUCH appreciated if you took a few seconds to send them a quick email. if you want you can just copy and paste:

"My username is xxxx, and i play multitable tournaments at pokerstars. you guys have an incredible game selection and turnout for them, and i noticed that you have been running deepstack tournaments each week for a $30 buyin. i enjoy playing in them, but it seems like it would make much more sense if that format were used for the larger buyin events, like the 500k guaranteed. if you guys ran them i would play, or at least play in a smaller supersat to attempt to win a seat. thanks for your time.

-xxxx"
Old 10-16-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: anyone wanna see deep stackd larger buyin tourneys at stars?

the super-weak players that fatten prize pools have little to no intrest in playing tournaments that last as long as the deep stack tourneys do.

theyre fun.....but as far as spreading them all the time, no way
Old 10-16-2005, 05:28 AM

I don't think you're going to have much luck switching over the current high-buyin tournaments to deep stacks. They're very successful the way they are, and I think enough of the current player-base is happy with the status quo. I think you may have more success lobbying for something like a $1000+50 deep-stack $500K guaranteed every month or two. That said, I think a high-buyin deep-stack tournament is a great idea.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:30 AM

no. but if they did a weekly $2-500 dollar one it would be awesome.

they fill up the $30 MTTs deepstacked each week. and they get 3k people for the 500k each week. yeah, a lot of the gamblers might not like the format so much, but there's a lot of weak/tightish players out there who think that the long rounds allow them to play Phil H style and win. plus even the bad players mostly think that they're good, and most people understand that good players benifit from longer rounds. everyone watches ESPN and sees the huge stacked slow structes they have in the WSOP. i'm certain they would be a HUGE hit at stars if they did it once or twice a week.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're going to have much luck switching over the current high-buyin tournaments to deep stacks. They're very successful the way they are, and I think enough of the current player-base is happy with the status quo. I think you may have more success lobbying for something like a $1000+50 deep-stack $500K guaranteed every month or two. That said, I think a high-buyin deep-stack tournament is a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

well they certainly don't want to drop the 500k or anything. but they have such a huge pool that they could add something like this on a different day of the week and probably not hurt business. maybe midweek, or even saturday, and replace the $30 deepstacked one.

i don't pretend to understand all the factors that go into them making a profitable business decision, but it seems that they wouldn't possibly lose too much by simply trying out one or 2 of these and see how they did. and if a ton of emails hit them at once requesting it, that might motivate them a little to just give it a try.

bottom line. i couldn't see how them trying this out would cause less people to play, or turn people off of their site. but i do see how it could attract more highstakes, bigtime players if word got out that they were spreading larger buyin events with an awesome structure. and of course from my perspective i really want to see this, as i'm sure many 2+2ers do.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:08 AM

I played my first stars tourney the other day. It was the 500FPP sattelite into the 500K. I found that the blinds raised at a crazy speed (every 5 min, I think) and totally turned me off. Are all their tourneys like this? What site has the longest rounds? I know UB is every 15 min and that seems like a more normal pace. Anyway I will mostly stick to cash games, tourneys are too frustrating at times.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:18 AM

no. those are the turbos. most of them have 15 min rounds, although lately they've done these "deepstack" ones. they're 30 min levels with deeper stacks to start with. except they're $30 buyins, and i want to see them do it with larger buyins.

for comparisons of different sites, this post is perfect:

burninguy takes one for the team and goes nuts
Old 10-16-2005, 10:29 AM

I think there is demand for some $100+ tournaments like this, and I think someone will start offering them regularly. I played in 3 of the $200 ones Paradise had every day the week before the Masters. They had 2500 chips and 30 minutes rounds with 500 players, so were no quite as slow.

On the whole, most fish don't want to play for 12 hours and good players and pros want to make money fast, so I don't think this will be the standard format.

I have thought of playing in the $30 deep stacks. It should be easy to take advantage of weak players and the field shouldn't be that strong playing such a slow tournament with that buyin. However, it is like 8 hours until you get to serious money, and I can't justify that effort even if I was multitabling.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it is like 8 hours until you get to serious money, and I can't justify that effort even if I was multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, last week, after i spent over 9 hours to get knocked out in final 3 tables and not make very much it was pretty clear that it wasn't worth the time. but i did enjoy it. then i had to go and make a bet with exitonly over TLB earlier this week, so i felt that i needed to play it. after a very uneventful 4-5 hours i got knocked out nowhere near the money it was even more clear that it wasn't worth it. EV wise though its great ROI, but hourly it just isn't too good.

also, is there a link or something on here with a daily or weekly list of $100+ tourneys on all the bigger sites? all i play is party and stars but i'm looking to spread some money around to other sites so i can have more options for decent sized buyins. $3 and $5 tourneys are fun and all, but really not the best use of my time
Old 10-16-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it is like 8 hours until you get to serious money, and I can't justify that effort even if I was multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree here, just now getting up after playing almost 8 hours in the PS Deep Stack and busting 25th for a whopping $115 net. I LOVE the tourney and the structure, but the hourly rate blew!