Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Flopped Straight 4/8

Typical 4/8 game villian is one of the better players at the table but fairly LAG he plays well after the flop. I have a good image and the villian has folded to my bets on later streets several times

I am in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG calls
UTG+1 calls
MP1 calls
MP2 folds
Villian raises
I call
Button folds
SB folds
BB calls

Flop (6BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB Checks
UTG bets
UTG +1 calls
MP1 folds
MP2 calls
Villian Raises
I smooth call
BB folds UTG, UTG+1 and MP2 all call

Turn (11BB) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets UTG +1 folds, MP2 folds Villian Raises, I 3-bet UTG calls, Villian calls.

River (21BB) J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG checks Villan raises, I re-raise, UTG folds, Villian calls

Final Pot (23.75BB)

How could I have played this better? Should I have 3-bet the flop? I thought about it but I wanted build the pot and I thought that would scare off the early position callers. Was my bet on the turn correct? results in a few
Old 07-28-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Flopped Straight 4/8

I like your flop and turn play, but on the river you should just call. The best you can hope for at this point is a split pot.

-d
Old 07-28-2005, 01:59 PM

One of the only times I'm tempted to table coach is when I bet a split pot and the guy right after me raises, knocking one or more likely callers out.

Of course here you are at further risk of being 3-bet by a house (while most likely standing nothing to gain by raising), so i really really wouldn't raise that river.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Like the others have said, get the overcall on the river.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:06 PM

My thinking on the river was that a full house would have re-raised my 3-bet on the turn so I wasn't worried about that, maybe a mistake. Also The villian in this had was pretty loose and I didn't put him on ace. With those reads is betting the river still incorrect?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:11 PM

If villans a lag I 3-bet pre-flop. Don't slowplay here either. Just keep betting and raising.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:25 PM

By not raising flop you kept three callers contributing, and you have a monster hand. As it turned out had you raised the flop, you may have gotten another 2 big bets in pot, but you may have lost that on turn.

The turn was nice that it was a diamond, but ugly to see the board pair. Anyway, I am three betting there too. The river is just an ugly card.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 PM

Another thing, how often does the forum like calling two bets preflop with AJsuited in this spot?

If the player is loose I prefer to raise. sometimes I fold. The point is, I find I seldom call bets cold, but I guess a pp or good suited ace are the exceptions.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:30 PM

Depends on the limpers. Live, i've found that, a lot of people will call 2 more pre-flop. Your equity edge (if you have one) isn't huge here, and you have position.

So, I think a cold-call is fine here, but a raise isn't bad by any stretch. I think folding is the worst option.

-d
Old 07-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Villian showed J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I took down the pot