Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Decision to Leave Table

I've read that you should only leave a table if you are not playing your best or if there is a more profitable situation out there. This makes sense, and i certainly try and stick to that notion as well as the fact that "money not lost is just the same as money won" when i only have BBx20 left and leave the table rather than going all in PF with KT.

There are a lot of players on the other hand that will leave a table after doubling up, as to preserve their winnings. I understand that a good player should be able to preserve his profit without leaving the table, but there has got to be a point at which it is more profitable to leave and find a new table.

Personall, i have found that once you reach 130 BB it is relatively easy to get to 170 BB, but that once i have reached 170-180 i seem to stagnate for a while. I would be very interested if anyone has analyzed their $/hr relative to their stack size.

Another observation that i have made, in the couple of times that this has happened at NL 100 6MAX, is that when i eclipse $250 i have continued to make money at a steady rate, but it has come in the form of short stacks (25-50) buying in hoping to double up. I usually try to avoid buying in at a table with a huge stack, do most of you, or what do you look for exactly?

ANyways, looking for all the help i can get. I know this is not that clear cut of a question.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Decision to Leave Table

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that a good player should be able to preserve his profit without leaving the table, but there has got to be a point at which it is more profitable to leave and find a new table.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absolutely false.

The decision to stay at a table or leave ought to be an EV decision. Stack size only affects EV if a person is not comfortable/capable of playing a certain size stack.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:36 PM

in online max-buy games I am often rebuying if I'm under 100 BBs.

As for finding a new table, if you think you're on tilt, you should just quit the game, and you should only leave current tables if better ones exist or you feel like you're -EV at the current table (which will hopefully mean the same thing)
Old 06-06-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of players on the other hand that will leave a table after doubling up, as to preserve their winnings. I understand that a good player should be able to preserve his profit without leaving the table, but there has got to be a point at which it is more profitable to leave and find a new table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is a point, but this has nothing to do with the size of your stack. It has to do with the other players no longer giving you action. In that case it would be more profitable to go find a table where you can get action. If the other players do not seem intimidated and are still giving you plenty of action than there is no reason to leave.
[ QUOTE ]

Another observation that i have made, in the couple of times that this has happened at NL 100 6MAX, is that when i eclipse $250 i have continued to make money at a steady rate, but it has come in the form of short stacks (25-50) buying in hoping to double up. I usually try to avoid buying in at a table with a huge stack, do most of you, or what do you look for exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to find a table with the most money on it, you can't win what isn't out there. Also if you play at a table with short stacks your implied odds go right out the window and so you have to pass on a lot of marginal situations(i.e calling raises w/ small pairs). Big stacks should be your main target. JMO