Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Great Play or Mistake?

A friend of mine was in a $330 tournament at the Trump East Chicago, first orbit. Player A played two hands very poorly prior to the hand in question. Blinds are 25-50.

Friend is UTG with 8-8 and makes it 200 to go. All fold to Player A in the cutoff who calls. Flop comes 8-9-2. Friend checks, Player A moves all-in, Friend calls. Player A shows Q-J, then spikes the 10 on the turn and Friend is out in the fourth hand.

I told him he should have limped with the 8-8 from early position number one. I also think he made a mistake by not betting the flop and potentially giving a free card. Had Player A checked like he should have, he would have hit the 10 anyway. I think you have to call when Player A pushes all-in, but I think this hand could have been played way better. Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Great Play or Mistake?

The utg raise is not bad. He is checking to try to induce a bluff is not bad either. Depending on my mood and opponent I would lead out. I wouldn't say his play is wrong.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 PM

The first reaction from me and most others will certainly be the same. How can you fault how your friend played this hand when he got all of his chips in as such a huge favorite? Sometimes I'll limp with a hand like that UTG. Sometimes I'll raise. It depends upon the table dynamics, which at this point there really isn't any established. Limping allows you to call a raise and still have odds to hit your set, or just see a cheap flop. Raising narrows the field and gives you more options pre-flop with semi-bluffs.

As for the free card, I have no problem giving him one. Heads up with a set on a flop like this? I'm often playing it like AK and checking to induce a bluff.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM

At a 9/10 handed table I wouldn't raise 4 BBs with 88 UTG though I don't think it's necessarily a mistake. It does have the advantage of strongly disguising his set on a ragged flop (like the hand in question) and may help him get action on a monster UTG later on.

As for the check on the flop, I have no problem with itespecially assuming that by playing 'poorly' you mean loose, which is probably the case.

Overall, I have no problem with how your friend played the hand.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM

Fourth hand of the tournament their is absolutely no reason to be raising 88 UTG...prob not even worth playing IMO. Nothing wrong with post flop play. Personally I dont like to slow play...it always costs me money, but I got all his chips in the middle as a huge favorite, can you ask for anything better?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine was in a $330 tournament at the Trump East Chicago, first orbit. Player A played two hands very poorly prior to the hand in question. Blinds are 25-50.

Friend is UTG with 8-8 and makes it 200 to go. All fold to Player A in the cutoff who calls. Flop comes 8-9-2. Friend checks, Player A moves all-in, Friend calls. Player A shows Q-J, then spikes the 10 on the turn and Friend is out in the fourth hand.

I told him he should have limped with the 8-8 from early position number one. I also think he made a mistake by not betting the flop and potentially giving a free card. Had Player A checked like he should have, he would have hit the 10 anyway. I think you have to call when Player A pushes all-in, but I think this hand could have been played way better. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very results oriented thinking...your friend accomplished EXACTLY we he wanted by checking...getting all his chips into the pot as a 4.5-1 favorite. I would never look back.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:06 PM

I somewhat agree that the bet there may be somewhat hmm... since it's so early in the tournament. At later stages I could very well bet UTG with 88 aswell as calling/folding it sometimes. Depends on the table. Anyway, he bet out which isn't an mistake but it sure raise an eyebrow there and there and he got a flop that hit him perfectly. A set and well disguised one since most people don't take an UTG bet as someone betting with 88. So it's perfect. The check on the flop is nice but an bet would be nice too and could easily be taken as a continuation bet on a missed AK but the check here is nice as it makes the other player push in his chips and your friend called with his set as a huge favorite. The other player have only 4 outs...

So, the only thing you can talk to your friend about in this hand is the UTG raise since it's so early in the tournament but other than that, nice played. He got the most out of it ´, just too bad he was sucked out on.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:19 PM

I certainly agree that he got his cards in with the best of it and the 8-8 raise isn't awful. I think I mostly have a problem with trying to hit a home run with middle set so early in the tournament. I just feel the better play is to make a value bet so a hand like 10-J isn't getting a free look at the turn.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly agree that he got his cards in with the best of it and the 8-8 raise isn't awful. I think I mostly have a problem with trying to hit a home run with middle set so early in the tournament. I just feel the better play is to make a value bet so a hand like 10-J isn't getting a free look at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you describe the villain as very poor.
Poor players bet, a lot. Based on your description, I couldn't imagine him checking the OESD.
And even if he wasn't poor, I think a lot of people bet 10-J here unless they read the pf raise as indicating KK-AA (which I don't think the villain does given that he's still in the hand).
Old 11-02-2005, 01:28 PM

Only fish lose to 4 outers.

He should quit poker.

Regards,
Woodguy